If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When I consider joining an RP . . .

2»

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I find real life hard.

Because I only know my own area in depth (that being Victoria, Australia), and therefore the locations I use tend to have personal experiences attached. And before I know it, at least one character is a self-insert to a greater or lesser degree. :<
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-11 09:54:15
    JC: Hard to believe my story sucks because of the overloading of elements I put into them?

I actually have a very easy time believing it.

For the record, I was dead serious about that. I have arabic nomadic people in the Sahara Desert, who speak with russian accents, and have jedi braids. They also wear dresses. 

Oh. Wait. They're not arabic. They are Arabic-Oriental.

Of course, it only sounds like a clusterfuck when you describe things like that.

I mean, it's the same as saying "These are irish-italian-polish breeds who follow the fashions set by the French Revolution which was later modified by the Romantic era, and have the culture of puritan-hispanic-britain mixed together"*

*Note: I know jack shit about the specifics of culture. Please don't lynch me for being inaccurate.
  • You can change. You can.
    JC: Hard to believe my story sucks because of the overloading of elements I put into them?

I...I don't think I said that. I just said that if my story wouldn't benefit from such outlandish elements, then why add them?
  • No. You used the term "your" which implies either a your singular or a your plural. In either case, neither refer to you.
    Change "my" to "a".
  • All right. I wasn't taking it as a personal attack, more as a "yeah, I've heard that complaint before"

And to be honest, I think people underestimate what a good mixture can bring to a story. Yes, some won't benefit from it, but the freedom to bring in ANY kind of element is nice. And while it might seem elaborate or weird on paper, in execution, it can bring really good emotions to the table.
    I dunno. I just feel that sometimes, authors need restraints to not go on and indulge on their own excesses and that working on a setting everyone already knows tends to really help with that.
    Funny you should bring that up. 'Cause I'm a little intimidated writing a "true" medieval setting. Everyone knows fantasy medievalism, but I'm afraid that basing this thing somewhat closer to reality is going to throw people. Especially since a part of the process is teaching the "real" rules and trying to enforce them against the ones imposed by fantasy expectations.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Well as long as I can be a warlock who can summon a giant celestial dragon to stomp my foes. After all that's how fights REALLY happened back then
    One of the earliest German combat manuals has magic spells in it.

Take that as you will.
  • >The worst I ever saw was the neopets forums...--shudders--

...Do you go on Neopets too~? 8D We should be friiieeends~.

• Used to. Not anymore. 
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    People still play Neopets?

I used to, a while ago.
    • I dunno. I just feel that sometimes, authors need restraints to not go on and indulge on their own excesses and that working on a setting everyone already knows tends to really help with that.

So why does restraints mean not world building as much? The fantastical is hardly what I'd call indulging on their own excesses, considering how commonplace it is, especially in the comic book world.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^^ I was saving up to get one of those baby paintbrushes when I quit

I checked back on a few years ago and instantly left when I saw how it had changed
  • edited 2011-11-11 13:56:12
    No rainbow star
    What the?

UE! THE THREAD BROKE!

Edit: It was broken! I even have screenshots!
    So why does restraints mean not world building as much? The fantastical is hardly what I'd call indulging on their own excesses, considering how commonplace it is, especially in the comic book world

Because building your own setting allows for more free reign than working off from a world that everybody knows.

And it's the other way around. Not all restraints are keeping world building low. Not world building is just another restraint. One of many possible. 

Also, just because it's common place, doesn't mean it can't be indulging in excesses. And just because it's indulging in it's own author's excesses, it doesn't mean it can't be a good thing. It just means it's more likely to fail.
  • He dipped his fingers into the water, letting its coolness play over them. "I'm kinda surprised you haven't asked me any more about my world, " he said. "You hadn't heard of anything, but all you've asked about is the Carthian Empire and Shaurei. I thought you'd be a little more curious."

[name] shrugged, "Well, I want to learn about it over time. I'm actually surprised you haven't asked about New Terra, it's only a tiny bit like earth. in fact, " he thought for a second, "Does earth even exist in your universe?"

Yes. This conversation happened in a roleplay thread in writer's block.

I hate the world and all that inhabit it.