If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How terrible I am at presenting.

edited 2011-11-08 10:59:45 in Meatspace
[tɕagɛn]
I am a HORRIBLE presenter. I have the most terrible stage fright ever--the whole feeling of talking while everyone else is watching me triggers some kind of deep-seated fear/paranoia/oh god they're all looking at me AUUUUUGGHHGGGGH.

Today, only about 4 minutes ago, I was supposed to present a powerpoint on the 1920's in English. It was late, so the most I could make was a 70--30 on the powerpoint itself, 40 on the presentation.

I was so terrified of presenting, so terrified of standing up in front of everyone else, that I nearly had a nervous breakdown that I told/begged the teacher to just give me a 30 and let me not present. She did so.

I feel really bad right now. Like, horrible. Especially since before my teacher applies this 30 to my grade, my current average is a 53. But also because I feel like such a weak, pathetic bitch.

/emo

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Have you tried practicing with friends?
  • That stuff's pretty common, . Is it limited to a phobia of performing in front of a crowd or is it an offshoot of broader social phobia? Check if the school offers courses to deal with this sort of thing, if not, perhaps see a therapist?

• edited 2011-11-08 11:35:34
    [tɕagɛn]
    Broader social phobia.

I have grea difficulty interrupting people. If I'm in a group and we're all talking, I'll just timidly stand at the fringe and not say anything. And the suposedly simple act of walking up to someone and making simple conversation is a grueling endeavour for me.

Basically, I only answer. I do not question.

Ironically, when around people I know very well, like my friends, I am become a super-exuberant ham. But when I leave their company, I'm pracitcally a selective mute.
  • edited 2011-11-08 11:38:29
    Awww my gosh I'm so sorry to hear that happened. D; A 30 is better than a zero though at least!

But hnngh I feel you. Whenever I had presentations I'd do just fine until I made one mistake or if people were being the least bit distracting in class. Then I'd start doing things like making monosyllabic words into polysyllabic words and it all either plateaued at the lowered state or just went further downhill from there. :<

^ And ah my gosh same here. If I don't know anyone around me at the time I just don't talk, but I'm a total spaz when I'm around people I know well.
    I sucked at presentations in English. I yammered on too fast and tried too hard to impress my teacher. 
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I did mine drunk.
    It helped, probably mainly as I was just at the stage of drunkenness where my speech was flowing well without being slurred or incorrect.

I'd echo what others have said practise with friends/family and maybe see if the school has some means of support that can help you.

• I'm glad no-one ever asked me to do presentations at school. I have had to do them for work, and about the only sensible tips I have are (a) practice and (b) memorise what you have to say and only use the notes as back up.

Weirdly, I'm not particularly shy in front of an audience, but very inhibited at interacting with people I don't know one-on-one. Apparently, a lot of actors are the same. Depressingly, so was Hitler.

• Thirding the overexubant with bros, and stiff around strangers, though the only problems I have with presentations are maintaining eye contact with the audience and occassionally fumbling my words.

Also, your presentation will always be longer than when you practice it due to pauses etcetera.

• It helps to know that the students probably won't be listening, anyway.
  • edited 2011-11-08 13:52:44
    Loser
    Chagen,
    Ironically, when around people I know very well, like my friends, I am become a super-exuberant ham. But when I leave their company, I'm practically a selective mute.

As InsanityAddict and others have said, I think that is actually pretty common among people who are not outgoing. It is probably too late for me to give any other advice about this kind of thing, but since other people do have issues presenting in front of a class, it might be a good idea to talk to your teacher next time and explain your problem. In any event, I would definitely not give up hope. I have known people who were quite shy and/or poor at presenting and such who improved significantly at giving speeches, even becoming kind of comfortable with them.

Also, Stormtroper makes a good point. If you try to just focus on the teacher during the presentation and assume that the students probably do not care much, the "they're all looking at me" problem might go away a bit.
  • "Also, Stormtroper makes a good point. If you try to just focus on the teacher during the presentation and assume that the students probably do not care much, the "they're all looking at me" problem might go away a bit."

They don't. Especially if you're one of the last ones up. Students couldn't give a hoot about what you say or how you talk or look; they just want the class to be over with.

And hell, a third of my engineering physics class (including myself) doesn't speak well in presentations. The professor only cares about the content.

• >44 in both English and Chemistry
    >Grading period ends this friday

Fuck this gay earth
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It would probably help if you actually did assignments.  Speaking from the viewpoint of someone who used to always slack the fuck off and not do as well in school as I should have.
  • edited 2011-11-08 16:23:52
    I tend to find the period before doing the presentation or performance or whatever is worse than actually doing it. I had a duet with a guy in a concert last year, and I was scared to death before I did it, but while I was doing it I didn't have any problems.

I try to block people out, or focus on one person in the audience and pretend they're the only person watching. Practice helps.
  • edited 2011-11-08 16:23:43
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It's kinda funny, I love being in front of people and being on the stage and stuff, but I never like doing presentations.  Even improv is easier for me.

Just kinda gotta do it anyway.  I usually stare at people's desks or the wall or something, so it kind of looks like I'm making eye contact with the audience when I'm really now.
    I love doing presentations. I just hate the anxiety before them, really. 
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I find it easiest to present things by imagining that I'm explaining these things to my friends.  Something akin to, say, a more formal post on IJBM.
  • ">44 in both English and Chemistry
    >Grading period ends this friday

Fuck this gay earth"

mea culpa

• I KNOW ITS MY FAULT MANG
  • No rainbow star
    Chagen, maybe you should try drama sometime

It may help you get over your shyness
  • I did.

I was merely average