If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So, why did you choose your major?

edited 2011-11-07 20:31:54 in General
You can change. You can.
Many of us are in college or have gone through college, so it seems like a fair question. Of course, if you're in high school and have made your decision, your opinion matters just as the rest

Anyway, I was wondering after yesteday's conversation in Updates, why did people choose the majors they decided to study here? Was it because of their skills? Preferences? Goals? etc etc

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Chemical Engineering, I picked it because it has the best job prospects out of all engineering disciplines in the U.S.
  • edited 2011-11-07 20:38:29
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    As someone who hasn't been to college yet:

I'm mostly choosing to pursue acting because I love to do it, and I've been told by many people that I'm good at it, including my last director, who told me that I should go to school to get a BFA in it.

It's not exactly going to be easy to get a job in acting in the real world, but if it's what I love, and I'm at least moderately talented, I feel like I should go for it.

Plus, I suppose that I can use it to get a job teaching theater or somesuch, which I think I would enjoy.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I chose sociology at university because I was interested in it and actually good at it.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    English.

Because I like reading and talking about reading.

Yeah.
  • edited 2011-11-07 20:51:27
    I knew what I couldn't do: math, any of the sciences, fine arts, anything pre-professional, business or economics, any foreign language...so it came down to mostly a bunch of humanities and some other stuff to chose between. I maybe didn't explore my options as fully as I should have...I was wise to take Intro Psych first semester, but nearly failing it wasn't very smart, so I backed away from psychology. 

In the end, it mostly came down to history vs. English, both subjects I was strong at and enjoyed in high school. I mean, I've always been passionate about both, or at least passionate within a school context, as opposed to other subjects. Taking a small, serious English class called "The Global Humor Novel" basically turned me off literary theory forever. And I had taken some good history courses. So I declared my history major and...so it has gone.

At my school, the theoretical possibility is triple-major triple-minor. I don't think anyone's ever done so, but double-majoring, or that plus a minor, or single major double minor, or just one of each...are all quite common. I'm pretty unusual to just be doing a single major and nothing else. I have no focus or concentration (the classes I take aren't tailored to what I claim to be interested in specifically at all, which is modern[ish] American), and I'm likely not doing a senior thesis. I never said I'm ambitious. 

In some respects, I'm just here because I have to be. I don't necessarily mind learning, but working is another story. My parents aren't expecting more than graduating with good grades, basically. And I'm not worrying about what kind of a career you can get out of a history major, because if I thought that far in the future I'd just break down and get depressed.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Chemical Engineering, I picked it because it has the best job prospects out of all engineering disciplines in the U.S.

Can I see a citation on that? That sounds interesting...
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I'm not in college yet, but I'm going to major in English. I'd like to work as a writer, and I like reading and discussing things I've read, but if that doesn't work out, a greater-than-average mastery of the English language would work out very well in the real world just by itself.
  • I'm pursuing linguistics because it just seems to click with me. I had always wondered what I wanted to do when I grow up, and I could never answer.

Then, one day, while conlanging, I stopped, and I realized: I had finally found my calling.

I finally found a career I could pursue. Fuck, I was so happy that day....
  • edited 2011-11-07 21:02:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    My first major was chemical engineering, because in high school, I became interested in engineering, and I was good at chemistry.

Little did I know that that idea completely missed the point.

I also minored in biology because I was good at biology.  Well, back in high school at least.

After some time in college, I gradually realized that I wanted something more on a macro level, something that had...well, at the time, the best phrasing I could muster was "a more direct impact on people".  This sounds really silly, but what I felt at the time was that my focus in my major--specifically, bioprocess engineering in chem e.--seemed very distant from, well, the world around me.  I know, I know, there are a ton of things we do, products we use, technologies we depend on, and more that derive from chemical engineering, bioprocess engineering, pharmaceuticals, biotech, and stuff.  I know that.  That wasn't the issue.  At the time I just couldn't crystallize why I felt dissatisfied into words.

Not to mention I got a lot of flak from my parents.  Chemical engineers are some of the best-paid among engineers.  Biotech is a rapidly growing industry.  Why was I so fucking stupid to give up a promising career in a lucrative field.

Well, for starters I didn't think it was promising.  I felt out of touch with my major, and neither of the two huge industries that made a lot of use of chem engineers--biotech/pharma and hydrocarbons/oil/gas--piqued my interest.  I felt that, yeah, I could make do with a job, but I didn't even know where to start with a job search in my field, not to mention my trouble at feigning enthusiasm about getting such a job, and after I'd get that job, I believed it would be a punch-clock role to me (rather than something I honestly would love doing), possibly to the point of not even being motivated toward career advancement.

That said, some days I still wonder whether I was remiss in not pursuing the major regardless.  After leaving chem e., I later went to a few of the meetings and events of the AIChE club at the place where I later got my master's.  Some of the concepts that once seemed so burdensome and complex seemed to have clarified themselves to me, after I basically let them settle and neglected them for years.  I do remember one of my TAs once commenting that she didn't really understand what chem e. was all about until after she graduated.

So instead, I got a near-useless degree in earth science.  Then I went onto get a master's degree.  A slightly less useless one, in my opinion; slightly more useless in my mom's opinion because it went even further away from my science/engineering base.

Though, on the other hand, sometimes I think that perhaps I should instead have done some combination of psychology, economics, and computer science/engineering.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Film. Because I like the idea of making my own saga of awesome shit.
  • ^So do I...but film theory bugs me. And I'm not sure if I'd actually be a good director, though I've dipped in and out of screenwriting since high school. Though never very seriously.
  • You can change. You can.
    So do I...but film theory bugs me

?
  • They're somethin' else.
    I love the idea of shot composition (and all the balancing theirin), who the camera is on during dialogue (reactions, talking heads etc), and the manipulation of time and space.
    the manipulation of time and space.

i thought you said film, not "Major in Omnipotence" ._.
    A friend of mine told me about a vampire larp about eighty miles away.

I'm thinking of looking for a place that rents camera tech and doing a documentary on Vampire.
  • Went with Engineering Physics because I thought physics was cool, but wanted the practical application of engineering. And my math and science grades were really good, so why not? I had interest in some of the humanities such as philosophy (and in retrospect, maybe sociology), but I didn't see the point in getting a degree for those subjects. And I don't think my rigid science-y brain could handle so much artsy thinking anyway.

(just a heads-up: University physics is a very different beast from high school physics. Calculators are either only for the most basic of calculations or utterly useless)

• I choose computer science for the eventual money and I like programming.
  • "just a heads-up: University physics is a very different beast from high school physics. Calculators are either only for the most basic of calculations or utterly useless)"

So how are the questions/calculations? How long do they take?

Would you happen to have an example of them? Even though I'm no majoring in it, I'd still like to see just what uni-level physics is like.
  • Give them pleasure - the same pleasure they have when they wake up from a nightmare.
    Law.

Because I like corrupting justice.
    From what I've heard Programmers and Lawyers actually have something of a market glut.
  • edited 2011-11-07 21:44:49

"So how are the questions/calculations? How long do they take?"

About 30 minutes each. Figuring out how to actually do them can take much longer.

Would you happen to have an example of them? Even though I'm no majoring in it, I'd still like to see just what uni-level physics is like."

A classic relativity problem involves a hypothetical train travelling at the speed of light. You can read about it on the Wikipedia page.

Electrodynamics stuff is even more convoluted since it's all about visualizing the vectors. In fact, it's mostly equations and variables steeped in vector calculus; if actual numbers show up, it's just simple substitution. Though to be honest, that's the essence of most engineering questions anyway.

• edited 2011-11-07 21:45:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, calculators become relatively useless because you're doing a bunch of symbolic calculations and manipulations anyway.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-07 21:50:32
    I started with Physics / Electrical Engineering as my double major.  When I finished the Physics course work and came time to transfer for EE, something just kind of clicked that while I had the knowledge and talent to be an electrical engineer, it would probably drive me frigging insane and I'd rather do something I actually like.

So sort of on a whim I clicked the EE over to Computer Science.  It was something I always wanted to do and picked up enough preliminary course work on it through electives to skip most of the first two years altogether and end up about at the same level of progress I would've been for EE.  The Physics background gives me a really solid base in math and simulation, and that wound up being the clincher for my game programming internship.

(just a heads-up: University physics is a very different beast from high
    school physics. Calculators are either only for the most basic of
    calculations or utterly useless)

I...didn't find this at all.  I mean yeah the calculator was there to do tedious calculations and approximations once you had the framework hammered out by hand, but that was exactly what I was doing in high school too, so yeah.

Electrodynamics problems were like 90% how well you visualized it and whether you saw the critical step that would make everything telescope really fast.  If you did, you could crank one of them in about 10 minutes at the most -- if you didn't, you'd be writing in circles for the whole exam.  Classical mechanics were a bit more tedious (especially tensors, no real way to make that not take a while), but for the most part along the same lines.

For a sense of scale, the day after the exam my professors would usually walk through the whole test beginning to end, and it would rarely take more than about half an hour.
  • Eh, maybe I just found the conceptualizing in high school so simple that I just didn't notice I was doing it. It's not like university assignments where questions can haunt me for an entire week.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-11-07 22:01:24
    Yeah, the assignment questions would naturally be longer and more math intensive than the tests, but not by all that much.  We'd occasionally fill a page with chipping away at some big-ass integral or Fourier, but most of it could be rendered very simple if you picked the right flux surface or abused symmetry.

And if you didn't you'd be lost for hours on end.  I learned very early on that physics was a school of finesse :P

Typically the test would have one ballbuster-math question just to show that we could do it, but for the most part they were like "look, if you got this far we know you know how to whack things with the algebra hammer."
  • No rainbow star
    At first was going to be a doctor or vet. I found myself drifting off and drawing in the middle of class. My grades were bad and I was miserable. So I got the idea of art

I made the switch. My grades are still mediocre but... I feel happy

Although there is one class that I'm doing fairly well at as its mostly writing in class papers and I am good at BSing that
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    "I'm thinking of looking for a place that rents camera tech and doing a documentary on Vampire." -- Malk

I've had a few documentary ideas, but most of them are a little too expansive for me. T_T
    Such as?
    I've worked on two documentaries. One was one boffer fighting and one was on the local con. The latter fell apart because my class mates were unable to do the work. I even had the teacher come up to me and tell me I was the only one he wasn't taking points from because mine was the only one remotely watchable.
  • edited 2011-11-07 22:47:00
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ Swordsmanship, duh. As if that wouldn't be the first thing I'd jump at. xD

Thing is, I'd want it to be extremely holistic, looking at both European and Asian styles, and then having a crack at deciphering what little we can about African and Middle Eastern styles. All in all, it'd probably need to be a four-parter, with the final part being a study of all the common factors that run across every style.

Funnily enough, the head honchos at my fightschool have actually made a study of over 2500 historical examples of fencing, be they complete manuals (in the case of European and Chinese examples) or even just single pictures (such as in the case of Egyptian and Saracen artwork). They've found that almost every single historical culture they've drawn from uses the same pool of biomechanical movements to inform the core of their swordplay, and most unique biomechanical movements serve to enable peripheral advanced techniques unique to the context of their fighting.

^^, ^ I wish we could combine our powers.