If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Roleplaying For Power

AHRAHR
edited 2011-07-21 13:44:50 in Webspace
Bleargh. Any advice how to persuade people to stop roleplaying as if they can do five attacks at once, and just try and enjoy a damn story?

Comments

• Glaives are better.

Threaten them with a gun.

Anything less won't do the trick.

• It's a pokémon roleplay :(
  • Some people roleplay to feel poweful. Is there something wrong with that?
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-07-21 13:49:21
    Yes, when it's not properly earned, and when it ruins the actual plot.

For instance, you have a door guarded by a bunch of policemen, specifically looking to arrest YOU, see YOU, and charge to arrest you.

You don't get to handwave them by saying "they managed to avoid the police officers and get outside."
  • You can change. You can.
    Kick em off if they're being too much of a hassle.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I know that feel, bro.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
     Handwave their handwave?
  • edited 2011-07-21 14:03:31
    Has friends besides tanks now
    But what if it's high-level D&D, and you actually do get five attacks per turn? D:

/troll
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-07-21 14:05:23
    Edge: Yeah, I trapped them with something else, they assumed it didn't apply to them since they were outside of the building, I pointed out his handwave, and he thumped the post accordingly.

But I still would like to not have to do this. 

So I am here.

Hiding.
  • *Checks post history of a certain person*

*Sees he hasn't been in the Pokemon RP*

Well, I'm out of ideas as to who AHR is talking about.

I assume there are other people in the RP.

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-07-21 14:07:32
    Myrmy: Hahahah. Believe me, I don't think I'd accept that person into the roleplay. I'm passive aggressive, but I'm not THAT passive aggressive.

Edge: Yes, and they haven't noticed anything, so the burden falls on me (I'm the GM) to decide whether I'm being paranoid or not. 
    Maybe just allow this guy go off on his own and continue the plot with the others like he's off in the bathroom or something. If he rushes to get back into the plot, embrass him in someway.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    *sends Shiny Arceus in the battlefield*

Arceus! Use Obliteration Meteor! (It's an OC move, don't steal)
  • I'm going to have to be a dick about it, at some point or another, aren't I?

Nick: At least that would be very easy to call out XD
    Yes, as a GM you have to be blunt if your players are being idiots. Like I said, I'd kick him out. Either that or PM him and tell him to stop it.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-07-21 14:26:55
    Meheheh. God I'm a pussy. T_T 

Damn you direct communication!

I'll have to do that, then.

<.<

>.>
    I can do it for you. :D

It won't go well, though.
  • Nah. I'm doing it. One paragraph at a time.

I'm sending it to cakman who is proofreading it.

I can do this, man.
    yes, you can. 

go get 'em, AHR. 
  • \m/ >.< \m/
  • Yeah, go for it~! Let's get pumped. :3
  • Well, I did it.

Wow, that's a long post. I think it's longer than almost all of my roleplaying posts ever.
  • If someone tries to do something like that, you can just say "no you didn't just do that".

You're the GM; what you say goes.
  • edited 2011-09-26 00:53:24
    No rainbow star
    I'd just go, "Then a flying magikarp came hurtling down and hit you in the head, killing you instantly. Unless you want to make a REASONABLE post, that is"
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    You don't get to handwave them by saying "they managed to avoid the police officers and get outside."

Can I say that I mixed poison gas out of supplies from under the sink and then held my breath as I ran past their corpses?

That's kind of sue....ish.

Or even better:

"I take my decorative katana and gun from over the fire place and then , thereby ensuring my escape via police car."

• edited 2011-09-26 01:57:34
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    This kind of situation calls for the classic "rocks fall everyone dies" trick.

This is assuming you're the DM and have the power to actually do that.
  • Turn it into a Lensman Arms race.
  • Well, this was the last of my threads I expected to get necroed.
    'lo, old thread, long time no see. how's life?