If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

SMT's Magnetite System

edited 2011-09-16 16:15:05 in Media
But you never had any to begin with.
In Shin Megami Tensei I and II, to keep demons summoned, you need magnetite, which drains with every step you take whilst your demons are out. However, you can't unsummon your demons after every battle, because there's a monetary cost to summoning them again. If, at any point, you run out of magnetite, your demons start losing health with every step, meaning you either have to unsummon them, or pay the hefty revival costs.

This means that, whenever you have no magnetite, you lose 1/2 - 2/3 of your party until you can get a decent amount again. Magnetite can only be found by talking to demons, and hoping you can persuade them to give you some, finding it in treasure boxes (which is very rare), or through battle, where the amounts dropped are negligible.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Oh, wow, it means something entirely different in Devil Survivor, which is the only Megaten game I've played using the term. Yeah, that does sound pretty annoying.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Agreed. In my run so far (Got past Damon, and am now wandering around wondering where the fuck to go), all i've been doing is grinding, talking to demons with no avail and running right the fuck over to the teleport terminal when I think I'm gonna die (which is all the time)
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I just got Nocturne in today...

I'm scared to start it now.... ;_;
  • You can change. You can.
    do it faggot. face the impossible, do the impossible, see the unbreakable, etc etc
  • edited 2011-09-16 21:37:43
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^Nocturne doesn't have the Magnetite system.

You can still die pretty easily in the tutorial though.

Well, I just beat Bealzaboul on my first try in Devil Survivor

SO BRING IT BITCH!
    ^Isn't he one of the non-moving bosses? Those are the easier ones, mostly. I know there's at least one that's impossible to lose to if you have a reviver sitting right out of range.
    He and Jezebel are the non-moving ones. Jezebel was loleasy once I gave the MC Null Fire, and Belzaboul was surprisingly easy but TV Tropes' page built him up like he was a God Hand boss.
    Really, a lot depends on how much you've been grinding and what demons you picked.
    Admittedly I used walkthrough advice on demons but I contend there's no shame in that because otherwise I'd be grinding like no tomorrow.
    Can't argue with that. I did the grinding, and it was by far the worst part of the game.
    Particularly since you get such minimal returns after a point.
    Yeah...

The second-worst part of the game is that beating Beldr requires you to give your MC a lot of points in a stat that's pretty useless in the endgame.
    Set level-systems for bosses really bug me. I much prefer Bioware's 'the boss is at whatever level you're at' system, though JRPG fans seem to despise that idea.
  • I'LL STAY MAI HAUNDS...WITH YAU BLAHT
    I beat Beldr because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to give my protagonist STR points normally.
    ^Same, though I did figure magic would be the god-stat later on.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    In the first game, MAG is the Hero's dump stat, since he summons demons instead of casting magic. INT, on the other hand, is essential, since it helps recruit demons.

On a side note, the public execution in that game is agonising. 8 zombie cops, about /80/ zombie soldiers (whose attacks hit the entire party), 8 Lemures, and 2 ghouls. And you fight 8 soldiers at a time. And healing between battles? Hahaha no.
  • The problem with STR in DS is not so much that it's bad but rather that you have a very limited number of abilities to use with it. And since you're bound to keep Atsuro in your party in most endings that I remember, you might as well give them to him. Personally, I found most bosses to be pretty easy, except for Babel, because I had no idea of what the hell I was doing for half the game and so I didn't really get very good monsters, missed some pretty important abilities and had a very suboptimal MC build.