If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Xanadu Space

edited 2011-09-03 00:09:42 in IJAM
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
I already put this on Google+, but some of you aren't on it, and all of you need to see this.

In short, it's an alternative to modern word processing and hyperlinks to organize linked information.

A demo (looks older than the one in the video) can be found here.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Conventional documents simulate paper.  WHY?  Computers should allow us  to improve on paper.

So you can print them out.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    What do you need to do that for?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    A variety of reasons. Paperwork, to create a hard copy in case of mehanical failure, resumes that need to be handed in in person, etc.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    When he started zooming through the pages in 3d, the first thing I thought of was this.

• edited 2011-09-03 00:18:04
    Why do any of those need to be handled through physical paper?

And for that matter, is there anything to say you can't print a document from this program out?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Because they are. That's really it.
    Because not everybody owns a computer, and not everybody wants to, so paperwork will always exist somewhat in physical form. Resumes that need to be handed in in person are usually looked over on the spot, so handing them a USB won't exactly help you in your case. And having a hard copy in case of mechanical failure is... pretty intrinsically linked to... having a hard copy in case of mechanical failure.
  • edited 2011-09-03 00:21:32
    ^^That's not much of a reason to do something.

And if you missed my edit:

And for that matter, is there anything to say you can't print a document from this program out?

And it wouldn't have to become the only thing humanity uses at all.

As for backups in case of mechanical failure, mine are located on Dropbox's servers.

Well, I can't see the youtube videos, so i'm just going by what it says on the page.

It says:

XanaduSpace(tm) allows you to work with parallel documents-- pages connected side-by-side by many connections.  When you open the program you will see an eleven-page example to explore.  The foreground shows two connected pages in readable position.

Which sounds very annoying to try to print out in physical form.

What advantage does Xanadu offer over conventional forms, eh?
  • edited 2011-09-03 00:24:50
    The ability to interlink stuff in a more immediately readable fashion than a one-way hyperlink.

And it would be very easy to print out; you'd just have eleven documents and the interlinkage stuff wouldn't be visible, just like if you printed out eleven Wikipedia articles.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

It's a multidimensional document viewer, you can't print that out!
  • edited 2011-09-03 00:25:37
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    From the sound of it, I'm not seeing anything more convenient than what a PDF offers with its' jump-to-page-X-immediately option.

^ Seriously >:|
  • edited 2011-09-03 00:25:43
    ^^You can print out the documents found in it, though. See my previous post.

^Nonlinearity.
  • edited 2011-09-03 00:30:20
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Nonlinearity.

And that's particularly desirable why?
    Because you can interlink multiple documents, much like Wikipedia's structure, but less monodirectional.
    So... It gives you links to other pages and a 'back' button?
    No. It gives you a large number of interlinked documents, with the links between them graphically represented in the software, viewable all at once.
    I'm just not seeing how this is advantageous at all.

You'd achieve pretty much exactly the same thing in any document, linear or non-linear, by just providing links to other pages along the side.
    You couldn't have an overall view of how they're linked that way.
    I'm not seeing how that could be useful, really.

Unless you're planning on writing your own private wiki.
  • No Coleridge, therefore this thread is dead to me.
  • No rainbow star
    Cygan: When you reach a part, it can expand it in context beside the page, making quotes easier

Also, imagine how it could be used for stories. You can have data on a character appeear or, with a video, see another view point without losing your spot, etc.

This is quite ingenious and I look forward to using it
    Cygan: When you reach a part, it can expand it in context beside the page, making quotes easier

Also, imagine how it could be used for stories. You can have data on a character appeear or, with a video, see another view point without losing your spot, etc.

That is more helpful.

So it would be like the taskbar of Windows 7 opening to a page in each document if you click something?

It's still not very helpful if you're not reading it online though. At all.
  • edited 2011-09-03 01:29:00
    Don't hold your breath. Project Xanadu is the oldest piece of vaporware in existence.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Doesn't need to be online. Extra pages are in the back. The context can be kept on those and it will show that page beside the main one when you reach the expanding part
    Then say on a computer* instead. Only helps you if you're at a computer.
  • No rainbow star
    ^... Well, uh, yeah. The whole point of it is that you can do stuff with a computer document that you can't with a paper one
    Yeah. But the thing is, we use it the way it is now so we can print out paper copies. Portable hard copies.
  • You can change. You can.
    I don't think it intends to replace word processors everywhere so much as be a complement to them.

Or at least, I wouldn't use that only. 

and even then, I'm fairly sure you can choose just one of the things you intend to print. It doesn't look particularly impossible from the video.