If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bioware make a Warhammer Fantasy game, fuck up entirely.

edited 2011-09-02 11:01:35 in General
One foot in front of the other, every day.
Warhammer Fantasy is a game wherein the genre changes according to the matchup between factions. The core perspective point, however, is the Empire. It's essentially a low fantasy interpretation of Renaissance Germany, with all anachronisms taken into account, drawing inspiration from about 1450-1550. Most people will never see a wizard in action, not that they'd want to; wizards are looked down upon and considered to be witches unless on the leash of one of the official Academies. The brunt of the fighting is done by normal men.

But then you have factions like the Vampire Counts, which is what you get when you take Victorian-era vampire tropes and put them in context of the above faction. So a matchup between the Empire and Vampire Counts amounts to horror fantasy with shades of historical fiction. But if you have, say, Brettonia (Arthurian England as seen through the perspective of High Medieval France) vs. Warriors of Chaos (heathen barbarians empowered by their pagan gods), you have a classic good vs. evil tale of chivalry and heroism with a medium fantasy bent.

That's the beauty of Warhammer, though. It's where the highest of high fantasy rubs shoulders with the grimdarkest of the grimdark and clever application of historical inspiration. So you'd imagine that, represented in audio-visual media, you'd want to apply realistic design and brutal action with fantasy excess as it might unfold on a battlefield.

BioWare disagree.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

That looks like your average Arena match in WoW. Graphics and all.

While the universe certainly isn't a rip-off. This game definitely is.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Exactly. It looks like WoW painted over painfully average fantasy action.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Seems nicely cyclical, given Warcraft's origins.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Although I'd argue that Warcraft and Warhammer are only similar superficially, but even then they have vastly different art styles that work on similar core designs.

Warhammer is post-modern, semi-historical fantasy wearing the clothes of other genres.

Warcraft is straight-up American high fantasy.
    Oh, yeah, I agree that they should have different feels, but whenever blizzard and Games Workshop come up, I feel the need to make some cynical comment.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I once considered getting into Warhammer fantasy because it seemed more interesting than 40K

then saw the price of the models and ahahahahahahaha
    3D printers will fix that :D
  • Glaives are better.
    ... What.

No.

No no no.

That isn't Bioware. That's some evil twin created by EA and GW to mock us. Bioware would... 

No.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^Holy... I had never even considered it.

^The Old Republic is also turning out to be a WoW wannabe. So I'm not surprised.
  • You can change. You can.
    Eh, MMO has become code for WoW clone these days
  • This was probably made by Mythic (which made Warhammer Online). It had been absorbed into Bioware some time ago.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Did Bioware actually make this or are they just publishing it?
  • It's being made by the part of Bioware that used to be Mythic.