If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"A spot on wiki staff is open for a social-media intern"

edited 2011-08-09 01:49:23 in Webspace
Inside, too dark to read
"Intern" makes it sound like the other positions are paid jobs, TV Tropes.

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    They are.
  • I always questioned the use of "staff" for a group of unpaid volunteers, too, but that seems to be relatively common on websites.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Yeah, stuff like this and "Trope of the Week" makes me think TV Tropes is getting a little pretentious.

You're a wiki where a bunch of words make up terms for recurring trends they've noticed in fiction. You are not the web's next happenin' phenomena.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Oh please, it's not pretentious, it's completely ordinary nowadays. Nearly every site has it's own social FB, Twitter or other such crap.

And not once do they think about how pointless it is.
  • I'm eager to learn how this will help with the many, many administrative problems the site has.

You know, the things that ought to be taken care of before you get someone working the twitter account full time. >:|
  • edited 2011-08-09 05:25:44
    Patrol Time
    Engrish: I read that headline as social media spin doctor wanted.
  • That's even worse!
  • Ivy, that would require they be recognized as problems by Fast Eddie.
  • edited 2011-08-09 09:22:48
    Mr. The Edge goes to Washington

Well, that's an internship I'd be ashamed of putting on my resume.

Interviewer: This resume looks good so far... I see you had an internship to TV Tropes. com.

You: Um... right...

Interviewer: Let me just see what TV Tropes is then...

Now this could go one of two ways.

Outcome 1:

Interviewer: TV Tropes will ruin your life!!! *Gush*

Or

Interviewer: Troper Tales? This site runs this flith?! GTFO of my office now!

Yeah, stuff like this and "Trope of the Week" makes me think TV Tropes is getting a little pretentious.
    You're a wiki where a bunch of words make up terms for recurring trends they've noticed in fiction. You are not the web's next happenin' phenomena.

Echo Chamber was a separate prject that Eddie annexed to the site after they approached him with the idea, not an administrative effort. 

At least, IIRC, anyway...
  • edited 2011-08-09 09:22:32
    The main thing that pissed me off about Echo Chamber was the "Let's put a big intrusive banner at the top of every page and then get pissy when people ask us to remove it!" thing.

(It's easy enough to hide with CSS, but still)
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    No, he advertised it and they approached him. He was looking for more than one even. I think, let me check.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Yeah, on their Twitter. Check the 14th of January post.
  • I'm not even 30, and I still find the pace of technology starting to outrun my ability to comprehend it.

What the flip would this position require? Isn't Twitter just putting down random blurbs in a few words? How would a Facebook account help a website? I know they exist, I'm just not sure how they work.

(No, I don't have a Facebook nor a Twitter account, which probably explains a lot.)

Darn kids! All this new technology and their smartphones and their Twitters and their vlogs and their....
    They can publish random updates to the people who are not forum users.

Big events as well. 
  • IIRC, the Twitter account was a half-assed attempt at what the Wiki Headlines would eventually be used for--letting people know about upcoming changes and planned downtime and stuff without having to pick through a bunch of Wiki Talk threads.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    I'm not even 30, and I still find the pace of technology starting to
    outrun my ability to comprehend it.

I know that feel...

Actually, I have this since mobile phones turned into multimedia machines.
  • I'm still bitter that I'm stuck with a phone that isn't a multimedia machine.

...At least I get to upgrade in October.
    Actually, I have this since mobile phones turned into multimedia machines.

get the fuck outta my brain, nyarly

this is brain crime, i tellz ya