If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Too many games that aim to be mature.

edited 2011-07-25 11:33:47 in General
One foot in front of the other, every day.
Alternatively, "too few games that are essentially like fairytales and play it all straight". 

This could apply to film and literature, too. 

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I think the problem here is that 97% or so of the games that aim to be mature have no idea what the word means other than the ESRB rating.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    It might just be my jaded twenty-something, brought-up-in-a-context-of-narrative-subversion mind, but I think that some of the most "mature" stories out there are some of the simplest and with some of the least questionable content. 
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I agree. But in the gaming world, everyone assumes it means "really bloody, with maybe some partially-obscured random sex (but no female nipples, because those are horrible)."
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    Duke Nukem Forever should be rated I for Immature.
  • edited 2011-07-25 11:40:02
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ -nods-

It sucks how making games more mature became conflated with making games restricted to an older         demographic, yeah. 
  • Haven't we already had this topic like 8000 times before, just in different forms?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Yes, but I feel like bitching. 
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I think there needs to be a distinction between genuinely disturbing gore like in Audition and gore like in Dead Alive which is just playing with goopy bits.
  • Wonder where you'd class Team Fortress 2.

Eh, screw that, i'm going to put it in the ''immature'' bag.

Speaking of which:
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    As I see it games the try to be mature actually don't do too bad, in the sense that the way they're written doesn't convey the feeling that they're trying too hard. Fans and advertisements, however, do.
  • Mature as an aesthetic is useless if the underlying gameplay still treats its audience as easily amused twelve-year olds.
    ^Are you talking about Duke Nukem Forever too?
  • Never bothered to read up on that game, so no. But if that "fling poo" ability has no actual meaningful applications in the gameplay, then yes.

My point was more aiming towards gore and edgy quotes etc. distracting from repetitive and linear gameplay.

• "I think the problem here is that 97% or so of the games that aim to be mature have no idea what the word means other than the ESRB rating"

I don't see that in many modern games. The ones that are are either intentional throwbacks to when games were all like that or are completely aware of how immature they are.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Duke Nukem Forever should be rated I for Immature.

Statement of epic win.
  • edited 2011-07-25 15:10:14
    Clean your room little Billy
    Having started my second playthrough of Alice: Madness Returns, I don't have an issue with 'mature' gaming or with faiytales played crooked. There's a bit of a creative drought in gaming, though, and like all droughts it's both gritty and brown. A good mature game, to me, should be like an oil slick - pitch-black, hard to grasp and sticks with you long after you've left.
  • edited 2011-07-25 15:18:08
    Not every game needs to be colorful or stylized.

I have an idea: Let's put cel-shading in Gran Turismo. Let's make Battlefield 3 and the next Fallout look like Wind Waker. Skyrim needs to look like the Painted World from Oblivion and have chibi characters. Madden '12 looks too gritty, so let's give it the color scheme of a 90's Rare game. You know what would really help Modern Warfare 3? That soft "painted" look from Rayman 2, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts and Beyond Good and Evil.
    ^^ By those measures, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance is a mature game.
  • You can change. You can.
    I think the problem here is that we're mixing "Mature" (Gore for the sake of gore, gratuitous violence, nudity and swearing) for mature (A game that just uses the necessary measures to convey a story, whether this are violence, swearing and nudity depending on the setting and plot)
  • Clean your room little Billy
    ^^ I've never got around to playing that, so it could very well fail the metaphor.
    Well, the "mature" demographic is the one with the money. The funny thing is, a lot of mature stuff is just specticle and/or dumb humor. The entire Mortal Kombat series is this. Mature in this sense never had any intellectual meaning.
  • You can change. You can.
    I'd beg to differ on the grounds of Rockstar's work. Or at least, Red Dead Redemption.
  • edited 2011-07-25 15:50:28
    Mr. The Edge goes to Washington

^Which is why I use phrases like "a lot of"  and not "all of". I, also, never commit to a statement completely because there are always exceptions.

I think here's the issue.

Children's minds see aspects of entertainment with less depth.  They're less able to comprehend depth and analysis of a story, using metacognition and whatnot.  So they are more likely to think a story is about what stuff seems to be about, on the surface.

The problem that the "mature" label is supposed to deal with, is that you can have things like characters who do violent or sexual things, and children might think that these actions are somehow cool or desirable when these characters are viewed by sensible adults as flawed and undesirable.

Unfortunately, the labeling of media as "mature" has departed from this intention.  Nowadays, you have two funny effects coming together to make what one could call "immature" media.
    1. Children growing up really want to assert themselves as adults.  This applies especially to age groups like tweens and teens.
    2. The "mature" label became associated with this "adult" content, short-circuiting its intended purpose.

The result is that you have older "children"--by which I mean people like teenagers, who would more properly fit their own category (let's call it "juvenile")--now try to get their hands on media described or labeled as "mature" in part to show themselves as more grown-up, to emphasize that they're not little kids anymore.  Products aimed to this group, as well as their advertising, also follows this pattern--a lot of ridiculing what younger children do, as well as exaggerated displays of things that border on "mature" content (as closely as possible in some cases).  In short, what I mean is "little kids can't have guns, smokes, and whores, so my having guns, smokes and whores proves I'm an adult".

Of course, in some ways these "juveniles" are also considered children, and thus still display some children-like social dynamics.  Hence we get silly things like finding instances of expletives and euphemisms for sex in literature funny.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    There's also the forbidden fruit factor. Violence, sex, drugs, etc are things that children generally not meant to see, therefore they are cool in the eyes of the people that can't have them.