If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Obsession with childhood

2»

Comments

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Who doesn't still climb trees?

• You can change. You can.

I don't. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-01 19:13:13

I can't anymore.  The trees I climbed when I was really little got fenced off after a few years and you get fined for it now.  Same with the train at the park.

People are so damn terrified of skinned knees anymore.

• The reason I had my "This use of 'you' is very general" disclaimer is because even I never actually climbed trees...ever! I was a timid child, I would get very lost in my imagination but not go very far in real life. Frances has always had the ability to climb just about anything. 

My nostalgia for childhood works in the sense that...yeah, back then, imagination wasn't seen as useless, because you didn't have to have a plan to do anything with it. There was none of the complication of the internet, really, and yet we got along just fine. And until I was 11, we were in the pre 9/11-world. I had missed Monica Lewinsky and Oklahoma City and Columbine and basically everything that happened in the former Yugoslavia. To me, Clinton had always been President and always would be (when the 2000 election came around, 10-year-old me basically just shrugged and went back to everyday life), the world was at peace, and life was good. 9/11 didn't quite hit me with the proper force because I was 11, but I could tell things had changed, and by high or even middle school those old days were gone. 

It wasn't really ignorance, and it was nice. Also, having a best friend who was always there and lived five minutes away on foot from school (I didn't), that was something I never really got back.

I can't say I'm obsessed with childhood. But now that y'all have gotten me thinking about it, I realize how good mine was. I mean, I always knew as such, but didn't think about it much usually.

• edited 2012-03-02 14:11:18
    Rurr.

I don't think I would want to be a kid again. I didn't like my childhood, and I hated the lack of control and the fact that there were things I wouldn't be able to understand or change. Also, I didn't really have the skills to defend myself against some things, so I don't think I'd like to go back to that.

I just like my life better as an adult, even though I have more responsibilities (I think that may be why I like it more, actually). Part of it might be because I can't go back, so why bother wanting that?

I guess sometimes people want a break, though, so they want to be a kid again.