If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Nintendo won't allow 3DS version of The Binding of Issac, cites "Questionable Religious Content"

MrWMrW
edited 2012-02-29 16:41:41 in General

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-won-t-allow-binding-of-isaac-on-the-3ds-eshop-222917.phtml

What? WHAT? I thought Nintendo grew out of this shit years ago! Worse, no other Digital Distribution service has this policy. Frankly, this is nothing short of insane.

Comments

• probably human

Yet they still allow Shin Megami Tensei. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yeah, I was about to say. I just bought a game which is basically 'pokemon meets anti-deism' on the 3DS. 

• It apparently only applies to the eShop then, if games like that can work in the retail field without a hitch.

Atlus games aren't exactly big market sellers though so bad publicity is probably the main reasonably.
  • edited 2012-02-29 20:01:23

Well, I can certainly understand why they did this.

Shin Megami Tensei gets away with it because it's a niche title with mainly word-of-mouth promotion and thus little public attention. The only way they could get away with Binding of Isaac on the eShop is if they didn't put it on the main page and made you have to search for it. At that point, why bother at all?

Putting it up on the eShop for all to see would strongly associate Nintendo with the product. With retail titles, you don't really have that problem, at least not to a degree that it would bother anyone.

• edited 2012-02-29 21:20:42
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^I think there's also something to be said about the fact that the Megaten games were developed and initially released in Japan, while this is coming from the US, and presumably being looked over by Nintendo of America.

• Someone on Screwattack summed it up pretty well:

At the end of the day, Nintendo is still a business, and businesses can't always take chances in the name of "art". And there is no "off chance" that someone will get offended; someone WOULD get offended. Some idiotic, know-nothing parent would get offended that such a game would be on their precious child's device. Not only that, but the game as a whole is pretty damn sacrilegious (as it's intended to be that gory I think Team Meat knew what they were getting into) so religious groups would take notice most likely.

And is the 3DS really the best market for this game in the first place. The controls would work best on something with a dual analog on the get-go, something the 3DS doesn't have.

And, excuse me? I'll have you know that the game that uses the word "fuck" more than any other game in existence is on the Wii (at least it was a timed exclusive for a few years). Plus No More Heroes and MadWorld are incredibly violent and on the Wii. I don't think Nintendo's being a pussy as much as dodging a bullet. They may be overprotective, but the last thing this industry needs right now is more controversy from the fucking media. Yes, I want this medium to be taken seriously as an art form, but I don't think this is what will lead to the "death" of it.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I think a lot of people are missing the point as to what the "death" of the medium will be. 

If anything, it'll be the fact that the people who run the show don't care about games as much as they care about money. Big publishers like EA and Activision. Nintendo, I think, is actually a strong anchor for the game industry as a whole, since they publish and develop themselves. This means a Nintendo game doesn't have to compromise. For better or worse, a AAA Nintendo game will always be exactly what it wants to be within technological limitations. 

As long as Nintendo competes with publishers like EA and Activision, there'll be a standard that prevents those publishers from getting too ahead of themselves. In fact, Nintendo is essentially the indie developer's dream come true. Imagine if, instead of it being industry standard for publishers and studios to exist separately, it was industry standard for developers to publish their own games (as financially unsound a concept as that is in the modern fiscal context). 

Of course, most major publishers today began as studios that moved completely into the business side of things, but it's good Nintendo didn't do that. 

• You can change. You can.

Never a girl like that around when I am. =(

I was going to get all sulky and offended, but then something occurred to me.

why do you have that image

My guess is he stole it from my tumblr last night and has just been waiting to use it.

why do you have that image

• Has friends besides tanks now

Presumably because it's funny.

hush while i discredit malk's reading habits

I honestly have no idea what it's from. I believe Ponicalica posted in response to something I posted on Tumblr. Wait a moment while I dig up the link.

• edited 2012-02-29 23:20:12
    You can change. You can.

Someone posted it in #yackfest and I was reading this thread, I put two and two together and I thought, "You know what would be really funny...?"

I did it after killing your dog, of course.

^It's from our booru, although I think he did use it once in his tumblr, but it was way too long ago for me to remember till now.

• Yeah, I used it on tumblr; I got it from Omnibooru, although it's a fairly old image.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Why do you guys have a booru anyway?

• edited 2012-03-01 11:29:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The yackfest IRC channel has its own website, run by the channel founder Illflower.  Illflower gradually added more and more features, which now include:
    * staff list
    * quote database
    * shipping list
    * informational wiki
    * image booru

• You can change. You can.

Why do you guys have a booru anyway?

there was a time when the channel got cluttered with people linking images they found around the internet. This way, we get somewhat less image spam and we still can comment and share images

• edited 2012-03-01 11:47:47
    But you never had any to begin with.

It's kinda amusing, considering the main villain of the game is Satan. Hell, in the first ending, God saves Isaac's life.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, but it still is distinctly anti-fundie, and they're the people who get pissed about this sort of thing anyway, so...:/