If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Using historical context as an excuse for sexism in fantasy

edited 2012-02-28 12:30:03 in Media

You're in a world where a few misfits can beat up entire armies, there are ghosts and magic running wild, armour does crap in actually defending against anything, etc., yet a woman taking charge in a medieval Europe knockoff breaks willing suspension of disbelief.

For the record, I'm currently thinking of Koji Igarashi's comments about women in Castlevania.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wonder if part of his reasoning for decanonizing Legends is because he was worried about the fanbase demanding a ship between Alucard and Sonia producing Trevor be confirmed.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

I agree, if the work in question is a serious attempt at reconstruction of times when sexism was the norm, I'd let it pass.

However as you say if it is a fantasy world it just doesn't follow that you'd have to include sexism, as you know it is fantasy.

• No rainbow star

^ Well, it depends on the world itself. Although yeah it is rarely justified in its use. It would have to have a pretty good reason to be there

• Meh, it depends on what precisely is sexist about it. Not enough women? Useless complaint. Women, but portrated as useless? Sexist, but boringly commonplace. Women, but actively discriminated against? Could be used as interesting storytelling or drama(if handled well), but almost always reeks of tacky edginess.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel bothered by the opposite. You know. Beautiful women in their 20s doing everything important and dramatic while wearing much less than they should for any given task. 

TES strikes a good balance.