If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Malk tells you what he thinks of the first episode of Tokumei Sentai Go-busters

edited 2012-02-27 18:27:08 in Media
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I feel unfair to Go-busters because right off the bat it has to live up to Pirate Sentai Gokaiger, and that is going to be difficult if not outright impossible for the show to do. I can't help but be tempted to compare what the two series did. However, I'm going to do my best to ignore Gokaiger and simply review Go-busters on its merits.

The first thing to note is that this show is a Super Sentai/Power Rangers, so you should at least know what to expect. Stunt-based wire fights with weapons that don't really look all that threatening because they have to look like the toys that are available in the stores at the moment. At the end of the show will be a big giant robot fight with lots of epileptic flashes and explosions. Of course, this review isn't going to focus on what Go-busters is but rather how well it does what it does.

So, first off the action is great. They're creative, energetic, and full of fun stuntwork. Even the giant mech fight at the end, which I'm usually iffy on in the shows, was great. This show certainly knows how to bring the spectacle.

Unfortunately, the show suffers from developing its characters. Of the three Go-busters as opposed to the five in Gokaiger NO! BAD! JUDGE ON ITS OWN MERITS the only one who gets any exploration is Hiromu while the other two, Ryuji and Yoko, are left with only slight glimpses. From what I've seen I guess Ryuji will be the practical one and Yoko will be the... one who doesn't understand French I guess? It also introduces a good number of secondary characters, including Hiromu's sickly sister Rika, the grizzled chief of the Go-busters Takeshi, and the shy and nerdy tech support Miho. There's nothing wrong with an expansive cast, but the fact that I barely have any sense of these characters is a problem.

The premiering villain, Enter, fairs much better though. Having something a style between fop and Shin Megami Tensei character (down to serving an evil God-Computer) he's actually a lot of fun to watch interact with the heroes. His gimmick of infecting items to make them into monsters is interesting and should provide for creative monsters. This show might even become one I watch for the villains.

Go-busters isn't really bad, but there's a lack of direction to the show that I hope gets resolved. The gimmicks, the action,  and the villains are a lot of fun. Hopefully as the show goes on, these issues will become resolved.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If it's only a first episode, I would be surprised if it did all of that in one go.

I will reserve judgement until at least half a dozen episodes in.

• You can change. You can.

A first episode should give you a look at the personalities of the main cast, though. and according to this, it doesn't.

• edited 2012-02-27 18:38:34
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Yeah, I know. I was a little spoiled by Gokaiger, I guess. It managed to give you a good rough idea of all the main characters from episode one.

^Hiromu and Enter get a good look. Unfortunately it's a case of villain being more striking than two of the primary characters.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Psht. DekaRanger is even worse than this at it.

then again don't judge a case just because there are worse, etc.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I still need to see Dekaranger.

On a related note I'm annoyed that the Star Rider in All Rangers Vs. All Riders won't be Fourze but Decade.

I wanted it to be OOO.

OOO would have been good, but I wanted the Space Rider to fight the Space Pirate.

OOO is probably my favorite Rider though.

• I'm a damn twisted person

For me it's a toss up between OOO and W. For all it's problems with pacing and villains, I love the Riders who make up W and it's powerset (especially in comparison to OOO and Fourze).

• edited 2012-02-28 08:07:49

I still need to see Dekaranger.

On a related note I'm annoyed that the Star Rider in All Rangers Vs. All Riders won't be Fourze but Decade.

But really, that kind of makes sense, considering that Decade's purpose is making crossovers.

It makes sense but the problem is that Decade sucks, and it's mot like Kamen Rider mythology is so set in stone that others couldn't. I mean OOO hung out with Den-O.
  • Having now seen the first episode of Go-Busters, I can safely say that I really like where it's going. 

But I'm rather wary still, as I liked where Gokaiger was going too, and that disappointed me tremendously. 

Also, I think there's a kind of cyberpunk aesthetic going on here.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

You see, Malkavian, it's all Decade's fault.

• edited 2012-03-01 04:10:55

This might be relevant. Or not. (linked since it's a bit large of an image)

• edited 2012-03-04 22:43:57

Oh yes. I was wondering if I was the only one that thought Gobusters felt like GaoGaiGar. I don't mind in the least, because I loved GaoGaiGar.

It also seems to want to do multiple genres at once; super-spy fiction, weekly superhero antics, super robot romps, meta-rescue stuff...I'm not sure if they can make it keep working, but I'm giving them points for trying.

Also, the giant robot is shaking its hips. Not sure if want.