If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I should have cultivated more of a practical joker personality while in college

edited 2012-02-26 23:06:41 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That way, I'd have been much more memorable and prominent in social circles.  Would also have justified really silly things like joining the Society of Women Engineers (which I am technically allowed to do, though obviously not a good idea unless I have "silliness cred" under my belt).

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

For some reason, my classes thought I was really hilarious during university.

Not at high school. Perhaps mildly in my usual social circles. But somehow, at university, I was making classes burst out laughing on a regular basis. Huh. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I was really memorable as the guy who was really quiet most of the time but wouldn't shut up in class.

Shocker, I know.

• You can change. You can.

I was the guy who never talked in class. Or outside of class. Except for the pseudo social circle I started around the second semester

• It's normal for engineers to not talk even when posed a mind-numbingly simple question.

• My friends tend to know me as the guy who likes to talk a lot even if they're not necessarily listening.

• Within my social circle I'm the Deadpan Snarker and Pungeon Master. :3

• I'm the guy who routinely introduces his friends to weird, crazy stuff. I got a few of them to play Katawa Shoujo just by describing the premise.

I also do that with some of my friends. Although weird in this case is more like "Stuff that everybody else but them knows about"

• edited 2012-02-27 00:26:39

I was the guy who never talked in class. Or outside of class.

It's normal for engineers to not talk even when posed a mind-numbingly simple question.

• I don't know - the "practical joker" is often as much hated as loved. You can be memorable for the wrong reasons.

• Yeah, sometimes the "practical jokers" are actually dicks.

• So far the thread has seen only jokers, not practical jokers.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I have the reputation of the resident eccentric guy with ocassional bouts of insight and an occasional prankster. Some of my recent antics include trying to sell cocaine (actually ground chalk) to an insanely conservative, stick-in-the-mud guy with Aspergers and, when tasked with painting a personal variation of any famous painting from 1850 and forth, painting Malevich's Black Square with a smiley face in the middle, spending a whopping ten minutes, because I'm a lazy bum.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I was just that kid who never said much and would let you copy off my work if you were nice :V

• Well let's see...first I was the really sweet, really nice kid that most people liked, then I was a complete asshole and only bothered to show my friends and teachers anything approaching courtesy with some minor exceptions pretty evenly spread out, then I was the quiet new kid, then I was the less-quiet, less new kid, then I was the light-hearted, good-natured kid with a sarcastic streak, now I'm an asshole again.

The circle is complete.

• edited 2012-02-27 11:46:29
    Loser

glennmagusharvey,

That way, I'd have been much more memorable and prominent in social circles.

I have a question

If it is okay for me to ask this, why would you want to be memorable and prominent in social circles? I guess I have an idea of why that might be (i.e., fame, friends, and such), but I wanted to know for sure.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Probably so that it'd be easier for people to remember who I am in case I want to reconnect with them in the future for whatever reason.

I dunno, really.  I didn't mean this thread to be serious thread so I just kinda threw it out there.

• edited 2012-02-27 13:27:29
    Loser

Okay, I guess I am just kind of curious about why people want to be memorable in general. It seems to me like there are some good reasons for that goal (i.e., wanting to be able to have a positive impact, wanting to build lasting friendships) and some bad ones (i.e., craving attention or praise, vanity, wanting to be "important").

Sometimes I feel like there is too much of an emphasis on wanting to be important and being liked by the "right people." I almost think the prevalence of that mentality can lead to people getting arrogant or not being who they want to be in order to please the "important people" to get ahead. Anyhow, that is off-topic and I am probably reading too much into this.

• edited 2012-02-27 13:37:56

"Anyhow, that is off-topic and I am probably reading too much into this."

Not really. At first glance, I wondered why this wasn't in Wonderful Posts, because the idea of putting on a personality mask is silly. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

At the risk of coming off as a complete asshole, I have to say that knowing your audience is beneficial in any scenario. 

I don't willingly put on a mask, but I do adapt to social contexts I find myself in. 

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

^ Pretty much. People have to adapt to some basic expectations of society, or else they'd appear like a total misfit. You can't always "be yourself".

some bad ones (i.e., craving attention or praise, vanity, wanting to be "important").

I only see vanity as bad from the ones you've listed here.

• I'm a damn twisted person

I never really liked playing practical jokes on strangers or just passing acquaintances like folks at school or work. Too much I didn't know about them and the chance of the misinterpreting it or thinking I was being malicious instead of joking is to high.

Pranks for friends and family on the other hand, I'm all for. Because then I have a reasonable expectation of how they will take it and I can really mess with their heads. Seriously, nothing beats your roomates face after coming home to find you've moved around all the furniture and swtiched out all the lightbulbs in the house for red and green bulbs.

Pranks for friends and family on the other hand, I'm all for. Because then I have a reasonable expectation of how they will take it and I can really mess with their heads. Seriously, nothing beats your roomates face after coming home to find you've moved around all the furniture and swtiched out all the lightbulbs in the house for red and green bulbs.

Heh, I should try that one out sometime.

One of my preferred pranks was staying up late and waiting for my roommate to go to the bathroom. I'd sneak out and put a plushie of some sort on their bed and make it look as if it was staring at the entrance. I swear to god, it always makes them jump. 

Oh god that makes me wish I was still living with my friends just so I could try that out. I'd probably put out the chlamydia plushy for lulz because chlamydia stalking you is a little scarier than a teddy bear.

• edited 2012-02-27 15:10:30
    Has friends besides tanks now

A chlamydia plushy? O.O

I don't know how I'll be in college, but hopefully I'll be less of a wallflower that I am now.

Chlamydia plu...

--googles--

uguu~

They are great gag gifts. Give your SO herpes for their birthday!

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I don't know how I'll be in college, but hopefully I'll be less of a wallflower that I am now.

It was the reverse for me, but that might've just been that my first college sucked.

"Will you give me a date if I give you this"

Obviously attached to a Gonorrhea plushie