If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I'm pretty much always in a state of despair

edited 2012-02-24 11:34:19 in General
How can I stop always being in a state of despair?

Comments

• No rainbow star
    We'll need more information =/
  • Have you tried therapy?

• edited 2012-02-24 11:48:36
    Has friends besides tanks now

^ Oh, yeah, that reminds me that I still need to see about therapy (especially since I can't bring myself to be happy for myself that I've been accepted to college).

If you're feeling that down, Don, I would second Elbeem's recommendation. With any luck, it'll work for me.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Thirding that recommendation.

• You can change. You can.

Have you considered not being in despair?

• ^ I don't think it's always that simple.

• Okay, maybe "always" is stretching it a bit, but anyway:

For one thing, I feel like I'm not privy to some idea, a fundamental idea, that everyone else takes for granted. Have any of you ever felt that way?

I don't think it's always that simple.

It isn't. I wasn't serious.

For one thing, I feel like I'm not privy to some idea, a fundamental idea, that everyone else takes for granted. Have any of you ever felt that way?

In general or an specific thought?

• Has friends besides tanks now

I think most people have. I know I have.

• Obligatory.

+1 to the therapy idea.

In the mean time, talk to people about your worries. Dismissing concerns as not important enough to bother other people with doesn't change how you feel about it. You'd be suprised out how willing people are to lend a listening ear.

And if after that you feel as if they're only trying to reassuring, definitely get therapy.

I'm not quite sure if I felt exactly like that, but I've often felt different than most people I've hung out with. It's one of those things that I always felt bad about because I often feel like a lot of the things I enjoy, I enjoy them for the sake of being different instead of enjoying them because I actually enjoy them. 

• Feeling like there's something you're missing as to how the world works may mean you're having some kind of difficulty interacting with people, so you don't "get" their behaviour, which a therapist might be able to help with.

If it means that you feel there's some great secret to life that you haven't yet found out, I think the point is that nor has anyone else. I remember hitting a point in my 20s when I realised - "Hold on, I may not really know what I'm doing - but then nor do all the other people who I look up to as wise or experienced." It was really liberating. Basically, everyone's winging it, making it up as they go along.

Everest - Sorry to hear you feel like that and I hope you can get through it. You never come across as depressed, but then these things are internal.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

That feel. 

Also, in general. 

Not much I can do to help, though. This kind of thing is way too internal for that.