If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Getting called for jury duty...

edited 2012-02-23 22:47:32 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...when I am actually too busy to serve.  Seriously, I would love to serve.  I'm interested in government, policy, and law, and I've never had the chance to do this before.  I'd like to have a more realistic idea of our court system than Law & Order, even if it's probably the most realistic portrayal of the police procedural and courtroom drama shows in existence.

But why, state, do you have to assign me to jury duty smack dab in the midst of applications season?

Comments

• You can change. You can.

I'd like to have a more realistic idea of our court system than Law & Order, even if it's probably the most realistic portrayal of the police procedural and courtroom drama shows in existence.

wait, really, that's not what i've heard at all

• edited 2012-02-23 22:54:39
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I said probably.  There are probably better ones, but among the mainstream courtroom dramas, from what I've seen and heard, it's probably the best.  Then again, I haven't seen that many of them.

Mind you, I know that Jack McCoy would be seen as completely nuts (and quickly disbarred) in a real court setting.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

If you're limiting it to mainstream TV shows, it's (sadly) one of the better ones -_-

• No rainbow star

^ Reminds me of how in Forensics I convinced the teacher to let us watch CSI as an example of bad practices and errors in the process

We had a LOT written down...

• You can change. You can.

I'm asking because I know shit about US law, not because I think L&O is inaccurate (Which I wouldn't know, because...well, guess)

• No rainbow star

^ Here's a short cut:

1) Is it a television show/movie/video game? If so, it probably does not properly represent US Law. If it DOES, then holy crap you have found a rarity and should treasure it for the rest of your life

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'd love to serve. Getting the power to decide the fate of another human being?

• No rainbow star

I wonder if I would try to pull off that 12 angry men film just for the sake of a cheap laugh

...Nah. Then there would be a trail over my murder D:

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-23 23:13:35

^^ If by "decide the fate of a human being" you mean sit through hours of property dispute to figure out who owes who the other lawyer's fees.

I mean yeah the legal process is interesting, but the cases are usually the most mind-numbingly idiotic things.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^You do realize I was joking, right?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And yes, i'm aware that L&O only ever shows criminal cases, and rarely ever mentions civil cases.

• I am a lawyer and I used to watch Law & Order. They used to get the feel of lawyers talking about a case right (i.e. they were always swapping case names, arguing about what legal principles might apply etc.) and because a lot of the stories were "ripped from the headlines" even the weirder ones weren't madly unrealistic. But, yeah, Jack McCoy wouldn't have lasted five minutes in a real courtroom.

I was basically there for Lennie Briscoe (Jerry Orbach's character) and the DA that was played by that guy who became a US Senator, plus Jack's endless harem of attractive assistant DAs.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> arguing about what legal principles might apply

See this is the kind of stuff I was thinking of.  I love this stuff.

> But, yeah, Jack McCoy wouldn't have lasted five minutes in a real courtroom.

lol, remember that time he put a judge on trial for murder because he suspected the judge of trying to prove an innocent man guilty?

Also, the many, many times when even I wonder if the defense will object to McCoy's badgering the witness, but nevertheless know that they won't because there's that ominous background music going as McCoy's voice gradually gets louder and louder.

I started watching it because I found SVU interesting.  Then I moved onto original recipe, then Criminal Intent.  I currently like CI the most.  SVU is annoying because they're constantly teasing a Benson/Stabler ship rather than focusing on the cases.  Not to mention that Stabler's violated the Constitution about a hundred times over by now.

The DA played by a former U.S. senator was Arthur Branch, played by Fred Thompson.  He once ran for president.  Everyone thought Arthur Branch was running for president (figuratively), but then discovered that Fred Thompson actually kinda sucked without a script.  Then, Thompson grew a beard and started advertising for conservative groups, and I stopped caring.  Except to laugh at his beard.

And why the fuck does McCoy have an endless harem of attractive female ADAs.

• ^ Fanservice/media sexism. I imagine the idea is that the lovely ladies appeal to the male viewers and the charismatic Jack McCoy to the women (well, it certainly wouldn't have been Lennie Briscoe).

I vaguely remember Fred Thompson's run for President. I liked him in the show because his main job appeared to be fixing the main characters' problems by having lunch/drinks with influential people in his gentleman's club. Nice work if you can get it.

It's a few years since I've watched SVU, but I remember thinking that you could basically have a drinking game whereby you had a drink everytime Stabler beats someone up in interrogation or otherwise violates their rights. It verged on Jack Bauer territory, without the excuse of the suspect holding the key to a huge terrorist plot that would destroy Western civilisation. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    In terms of realistic portrayal of the legal system, my dad (a lawyer) recommends The Lincoln Lawyer.