If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

'Anti-business Snobbery' (Fuck you Cameron)

edited 2012-02-23 12:20:12 in Politics
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Today David Cameron has said:

We've got to take on certain snobbish attitudes.

The snobbery that says business has no inherent moral worth like the state does, that it isn't really to be trusted, that it should stay out of social concerns and stick to making the money that pays the taxes.

We see this in the debate on education.

Put a young person into college for a month's learning, unpaid – and it's hailed as a good thing.

Put a young person into a supermarket for a month's learning, unpaid – and it's slammed as slave labour.

Frankly I am sick of this anti-business snobbery.

Yes as making someone stack shelves for Tesco for free is exactly like subsidising courses for qualifications.
Get fucked. 
Go interact with people who are not as wealthy as you!

Comments

• edited 2012-02-23 12:09:51
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Wow...

Okay, I'd heard he was bad, but...wow. Fuck that guy.

How does he not get that the meaning of "unpaid" is completely the opposite in those two situations? Unless he's implying that the person working at the supermarket should be paying the employer.

• edited 2012-02-23 12:18:56

Whilst in the right circumstances and for the right people, unpaid work experience can be a useful learning experience, I wouldn't trust this government to do anything other than make into another means of bullying unemployed people. I also like the way that he turns "principled dislike of capitalism" into "snobbery" - neat rhetorical trick, eh?

Its also not worth telling Cameron to get fucked, as that's basically like saying "please go and have some sex with your reasonably attractive wife" i.e. abusing him by telling him to do something he enjoys. English is a weird language.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^
    Fixed the insult to something he'd dread.

Also I agree that work experience can be useful but it really depends on where, although I'd still prefer there to be enough jobs as the idea that you only need experience in the current job market is ludicrous. 

• "Go interact with people who are not as wealthy as you."

Well, he did once meet a black man in Portsmouth. Or so he claimed.

• Champion of the Whales

Then there were the Hooded teens in Manchester

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Hrm, yes, having a child work in a supermarket is exactly the same as having a child get an education.

Question: what were his reactions to the riots in North London?

• "Put a young person into a supermarket for a month's learning, unpaid – and it's slammed as slave labour."

These conservative types might as well outright say they'd rather remove worker's rights, since we know that's what they're really thinking anyway. Though I hear that the other U.K. parties aren't much better.

• edited 2012-02-24 06:19:07
    Diet NEET

Operating on the premise that there's some sort of bizarre logic in his worldview:

Learning to shelf stuff at the back until an advantageous time comes around is a useful skill that prepares one for politics, perhaps?

• I wear a Stetson now. Stetsons are cool.

^^^ The usual conservative response to such things -- that the rioters should be locked up with the key thrown away and the riots were the fault of parts of society that were "not just broken, but sick". In other words, it's entirely the fault of the rioters and not at all the fault of the people in charge who created the conditions necessary for the riots to happen.