If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Guy builds mini-libraries over payphones

edited 2012-02-22 21:44:10 in IJAM
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Comments

• Oh, this is awesome.

• No rainbow star

This is great!

...Sadly, some prick will ruin it (and not by stealing - The artist doesn't seem to mind that. No, it will be ruined by somebody complaining about something "offensive" and having the city remove them >.>)

• Fun fact -- pretty much the same thing happened over the Oregon Trail.

• Has friends besides tanks now

That's pretty cool. Hopefully he doesn't get in trouble with the city, since it seems he hasn't told them he's doing this.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

What law would he have broken?

• Bee - What, someone built mini-libraries in payphones on the Oregon Trail, or someone was offended by it and complained? Either sounds about equally strange.

My workplace has a large bookcase that operates as a library i.e. people bring in their old books and you can "borrow" them for pretty much as long as you like. Unfortunately, it mostly seems to be full of Robert Ludlum-type thrillers or romance novels.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-23 12:43:58

Not payphones of course, but yeah they had impromptu "leave one, take one" mini-libraries on the trail side.  I mean, imagine the longest road trip you've ever taken, then drag it out to months.  There wasn't a hell of a lot to do when you weren't busy fording rivers and dying of dysentery.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

What law would he have broken?

vandalism

Really? He didn't attach them in any permanent way or damage the phone booths.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Woops, it falls under mischief, not necessarily vandalism.

Hm, possibly. I'd have to look up how that's defined.

In United States criminal law, mischief is an offense against property that does not involve conversion. It typically involves any damagedefacement,alteration, or destruction of property. Common forms include vandalismgraffiti, or some other destruction or defacement of property other than arson

but then, on the other hand

Criminal conversion is the crime of exerting unauthorized use or control of someone else's property. It differs from theft in that it does not include the element of intending to deprive the owner of the possession of that property. As such, it is a lesser included offense of the crime of theft. Criminal conversion specifies a type of conversion in that it involves criminal law, not civil law.

Hm. It's...debatable. After all, he's really just "using" them as a flat surface to set something on. Surely plenty of people have done that before and they aren't charged for that.

• It might be one thing if he was covering the phone somehow, but he's pretty clearly not.

Hm. It's...debatable. After all, he's really just "using" them as a flat surface to set something on. Surely plenty of people have done that before and they aren't charged for that.

The thing is, while that may be technically a crime, it's not really worth charging people over.

The same guy doing it to several phonebooths and announcing intent to do it to more may be different.

It would still be dumb to charge him at all though.

• I'm not sure how correct that definition of "mischief" is, but it includes alteration of the property, so presumably it would cover him. You could make INUH's argument about people who flypost, and they presumably can be charged if caught.

On one level, it would be kind of cool to have been convicted of "mischief" though. But it isn't quite as good as "high crimes and misdemeanours".