If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The idea that electric cars are a significant fire hazard because of batteries...

edited 2012-02-22 16:07:02 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...while neglecting that conventional cars contain a large tank of gasoline.  Which is clearly not flammable at all.

Comments

• I'm...not sure I've ever seen that argument against electric cars.

I mean if anything they'd be a more significant toxic hazard.

• ...People have actually said this?

• inb4 theremins

• Has friends besides tanks now

My mom argues against the practicality of electric cars, but I've never heard her worry that they're a fire hazard.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Basically, electric cars represent short term issues with long-term gains.

Meaning nobody likes them.

• Not to mention, conventional cars also have batteries.

• ^^Including the fact that they're still technically powered by fossil fuels?

I would like to see overall emission comparisons to gauge the validity of that argument, but it really is the elephant in the room in regards to electric cars.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> implying that vehicles being powered by dinosaurs is not a plus

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>implying they're not mostly made of stuff like plankton.

>implying that I want to pay $3.83 per gallon on dino juice.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> implying that T.rex has not driven me to places

• Has friends besides tanks now
    >implying you have a T. Rex for a chauffer

I want a T. Rex. :(
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

>implying that I want to pay $3.83 per gallon on dino juice.

>implying you can complain when the equivalent here is $7.80

• Keep in mind things are really freaking spread-out down here with a lot of open space and public transit blows chunks.  I think I've been to about two cities with a decent metro, and one with a decent bus.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, the price difference is kinda compensated for by the fact that if you want to go anywhere at all here, you pretty much have to drive.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-23 12:47:45

On top of that, about 30% of your rural workers have to commute half an hour or more just to get to work.  source

Last summer I was commuting an hour (one way) to work, and at the beginning of the year I had to commute two hours to classes before some dipshit got his act together and moved out of the apartment so I could get in.

You want trains?  Oh LOL no.  Read this and weep.

Perhaps raising the cost and investing it into public transport might help then?
    Although I'd bet there'd have massive opposition to it. 

Yeah, no. That effort would completely die on every level. Americans don't want to pay more for gas (and fair enough, because for a lot of people, that would make getting to work impossible). And they don't want better public transportation because a lot of us have gotten into the habit of thinking public transportation is inherently shitty, rather than just shitty because we're bad at it.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-23 12:55:23

And because every time they raise the cost on anything else it doesn't go into what it's supposed to anyway.  Ever.

Hell, down here the only reason they let the lottery in was because a good chunk of the proceeds were supposed to go to local schools.  Wasn't long before they decided it would only go to colleges that never really needed it.  Cue elementary schools shutting down left and right.

^Are you in Georgia? Because IIRC, that's the situation there.

• edited 2012-02-23 12:57:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Ah. Guess there are a few places doing that.

Hmm.
    Well I guess wait for it to all collapse and start again OR get some regulations and reforms and education regarding going?
    (Also I see the point in the petrol prices, it'd be better to divert say Military spending to public transport, or tax the rich/business etc.)

• edited 2012-02-23 20:43:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The way the U.S. political system is built really prioritizes making people feel good, especially making people feel good now.  This, unfortunately, leads to a certain amount of short-sightedness, notably when compounded with a dose of capitalism-as-a-philosophy as well as a mentality wherein people still think they're pioneers settling and expanding the country with their rugged individualism, minus the calendar being in the 1800s, the lack of modern-day amenities, and the risk of dying from dysentery after your oxen die while fording the river.

TLDR: Life is good and too many people are taking it for granted.

• You know what the government really needs? Poor people representation. What we get instead are rich people that don't know what it's like to be poor (and in a lot of cases, don't even pretend to care). So much for democracy. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-23 23:10:45

Usually it's the poorer areas that are voting in the most flagrantly bullshitty of the businessmen, mostly because they don't have the means to do their own research and figure out that said businessmen are full of said bullshit.