If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When something has a meaning to you that's totally different from its typical meaning

edited 2012-02-21 22:14:09 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

"Wendigo".  "a mythical creature appearing in the mythology of the Algonquian people. It is a malevolent cannibalistic spirit into which humans could transform, or which could possess humans. Those who indulged in cannibalism were at particular risk,[2] and the legend appears to have reinforced this practice as a taboo", according to Wikipedia.

Except, to me, it reminds me of that one time I was doing a Mystery Hunt puzzle where the clues were displayed as video guides to certain parts of games, but they actually were hinting at mythological creatures (that served as "bosses" of nonexistent videogames in these clues).  I thought this puzzle was about videogames, so I got a videogame-knowledgeable friend to look into it.  He then came up with "Wendigo", and started suggesting games that had Wendigo as a boss...except the only thing about the puzzle that had to do with videogames was the flavor-dressing; the mechanism only used this to make you find the names of the mythological creatures.

Otherwise, I know almost jack schitt about the Wendigo.

This very frequently happens to me with pop culture references.  Since I rarely watch movies or TV shows or current animé or play recent games, I often hear about the memes long before I actually play the game.  I've heard the "cake is a lie" meme for years now and still haven't played Portal.  I've heard about lieking mudkips and I haven't played Pokémon in years, let alone caught a mudkip myself.

Comments

• edited 2012-02-21 22:18:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So you'll get odd situations where someone will mention a meme and I'll remember not the original reference, but an instance of it in some other video.

Like how I know "I believe you have my stapler" not from the movie Office Space, but from a Phoenix Wrong video.

Actually, Phoenix Wrong is a major source of these, in this regard.  I actually first heard the Candle Jack (Freakazoid) meme through Phoenix Wrong.  Same with the song that has the lyrics "I wanna have sex on the beach", as well as a boy repeating "waffles" eight times with increasing volume, as well as the "Boot to the Head" skit.  And a line about "shenanigans" being "cheeky" with someone else threatening to "pistol-whip" the next person who used the word "shenanigans".  Heck, even "I'm not wearing any pants...film at eleven!".

So if you mention any of these things, the first thing I think about is not the original source, but the Phoenix Wrong short that uses them.

• I get this too, though I can't think of any specific examples right now.

I've always assumed it was because I was more-or-less ignorant of pop culture till I was 18 or so.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think my first exposure to "KHAAAAANNNN!!!" was through YTMND.  SO I have no idea about its context, but I just know that it involves an angry man yelling that name.  Possibly repeatedly.

• You can change. You can.

I think my first exposure to "KHAAAAANNNN!!!" was through YTMND. SO I have no idea about its context, but I just know that it involves an angry man yelling that name. Possibly repeatedly.

He's actually bluffing.