If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Internet Memes in Commercials

edited 2012-02-21 21:08:44 in Webspace

I just saw an ad for "Era" laundry detergent on Youtube. The ad made it out to be some sort of ultimate badass. An ultimate badass laundry detergent.

The commercial ended with the tagline "Chuck Norris Approved."

Okay, whoever came up with this commercial? Let me spell it out for you:

There's beating a dead horse, there's beating the dessicated carcass of a horse, and there's beating the ground where the horse's body was before it rotted away. Then there's the ad you just made.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    When the dead horse is Chuck Norris, you don't beat it. You let it beat you
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

If Chuck Norris had directed that commercial, he would've shot it with his eyes and rubbed them out on some 8mm, then upconverted to HD.

• I've always found it vaguely amusing how internet memes only slip into anything mainstream once they've gotten long beyond stale.

• Mike Huckabee.

• I don't even post on TVTropes anymore and I still got the urge to bump this thread.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-22 00:40:25

I've always found it vaguely amusing how internet memes only slip into anything mainstream once they've gotten long beyond stale.

Yeah.  I dunno what news channels are thinking with their "viral video of the week" tripe, but I think I've seen them pick something younger than a year and a half maybe once.

Not too long ago they picked Animator vs. Animation.  Fuck, I watched that my freshman year.

• I think the idea of "Chuck Norris as ultimate badass" may have existed before the internet took it up though. I mean, that's what his films are all about, so it was sort of mainstream before it was internet.

• edited 2012-02-22 14:35:15
    No rainbow star
    ^^ Global did something on passwords a week or two ago and showed the XKCD comic about how a simple phrase is stronger
  • You can change. You can.

I think the idea of "Chuck Norris as ultimate badass" may have existed before the internet took it up though. I mean, that's what his films are all about, so it was sort of mainstream before it was internet.

Nah, the joke started with Vin Diesel and then nerds brought up Chuck precisely because of this. The jokes did start with the internet.

• ^^ Well at least that's sort of different in that it's something people could actually use instead of just a shallow attempt at looking hip.

• The Nostalgia Critic did a review of a movie called "Sidekicks," which was released in 1992. It was basically about how badass Chuck Norris was/is.

• Why Chuck Norris? Why not Bruce Lee?

• You can change. You can.

Bruce Lee's movies are not as self indulgent

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

There was once an ad in which the eye doctor's letter board, you know the thing, had letters like this:

L

O   L 

W  T   F

O  M  F  G

R  O  T  F  L

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^^It's because they were specifically mocking the masturbatory nature of Chuck and his 'badass' persona. Then people took it seriously.

• I'll just leave this here.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Here is an improved version:

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Why Chuck Norris? Why not Bruce Lee?

Chuck Norris, much like Steven Segal, has based his entire career upon acting far more badass than he probably is in real life. 

• ^ You could say that about basically most stars of action movies, though. I don't think Bruce Willis has ever really saved a bunch of hostages from a building taken over by terrorists and Sly Stallone didn't fight the entire Vietnamese army single-handed.

Bruce Lee, because of his genuine martial arts background, is a rare exception. Jackie Chan possibly counts too, and if you go back far enough, Audie Murphy (who genuinely was the most hghly decorated American soldier of WW2). 

• Audie Murphy was so awesome the movie about him actually toned down how awesome he was at his own request.

Harrison Ford would be another example.  Sure he's not President Marshall, but he makes a damn good real life rescue pilot.