If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Interesting medieval books that don't have modern translations or publications.

edited 2012-02-21 03:25:46 in Meatspace
One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'm lookin' at you, Munich Grimoire and Codex Dobringer. >:|

The first is a detailed look at late medieval necromancy. One interesting consideration to make is that most practitioners of necromancy in the medieval eras were actually clergymen, as were the practitioners of "white magic" and "black magic" (separate from necromancy). So basically, priests were wizards back then. After all, who had the resources and skills to write long, laborious tomes of magic but the educated clergy? 

The second is a generalist handbook of the 14th century, and includes within its pages teachings of the Liechtenauer combat style, alchemy, magical spells (perhaps "white magic"?) and instructions for dental care. While the sections on combat and alchemy have been translated, I'd love to know about the nature of the magic. After all, this book belonged to someone quite erudite; not everyone got to learn the combat stylings of Liechtenauer, and its secrets were fiercely guarded. 

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

what

• edited 2012-02-21 03:33:08

Wait, so, magic is real? Wha?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I wish. ;_;

They believed magic was real and treated it as such in the manuscripts. But not a whole lot can be told from secondary sources. I need my hands on the primary sources. 

• No rainbow star

I just keep getting images in my head of priests in black firing fireballs and lightning bolts out of their hands, and priests in white kicking zombie ass

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Medieval people believed that holiness held power over revenants, so the second isn't far off.