If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When people point out that there are more bad things than good things in any given genre/medium

edited 2012-02-20 21:07:11 in Media
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

This always annoys me.

The bad in fiction will always outweigh the good. You don't judge the value of a medium by the its failures but by its strengths, especially since there are hundreds of people that  donate to a genre of fiction. The Stephanie Meyers do not undo the Charlotte Brontes. The Eye of Argons to do not make the Elrics or Aragorns any less beautiful.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The Eye of Argons to do not make the Elrics or Aragorns any less beautiful.

For just a second, I read that last one as "Eragons" and went O.o

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Clearly we must duel to the death now. TO ME, STORMBRINGER!

• A lot of the time, this complaint is in a modern context. When I complain that, say, JRPG's are becoming stagnant, I'd like to see a relatively recent counterexample (e.g. Xenoblade, from the sound of it) to re-evaluate my position.

^^I think what happened was I was expecting a book title rather than a character name, so my brain just plopped down the closest one spelling-wise.

^^I think even in the case of modern context judging that way is unfair. Persona 4 and Devil Survivor came out in the past couple of years in the JRPG example. 

I guess my point is that when we judge the glory of something, we should look at its triumphs, not its failures. Even if every piece in the past few years has been terrible it's been great before and can be again, if not greater.

Persona 4 and Devil Survivor are four and three years old, respectively :P

That's not that old, but I wouldn't call it "recent" either.

• "Even if every piece in the past few years has been terrible it's been great before and can be again, if not greater."

But what worked in the past doesn't necessarily work for modern sensibilities, so it's worthwhile to cast a critical eye on unfavourable trends in order to see what is worth keeping. Though I guess this applies more to long running franchises as opposed to genres. 

• edited 2012-02-20 22:00:16
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Admittedly I'm not that into JRPGs but even so my point stands. Regardless of age, we should judge the potential of a medium by its strengths and not its failures.

^But that's a problem endemic to the trends not to the genre itself. I hate shaky cam and military wankery but I acknowledge to separate that from a lot of the sci-fi going.

Oh, yeah, I agree with that. I just thought I'd point out that those examples weren't that recent :P

• edited 2012-02-20 22:16:36
    You can change. You can.

JRPGs are not a medium, guys. Just sayin'

> genre/medium

>JRPGs are not a medium, guys.

• You can change. You can.

>Implying I care about something you wrote

cute

And who was the one posting on my tumblr to keep writing with my moe anime as hostage?

• «The Stephanie Meyers do not undo the Charlotte Brontes.»

But Jane Eyre is terrible too.

And who was the one posting on my tumblr to keep writing with my moe anime as hostage?

>_>

<_<

ponicalica hacked my account.

yeah, let's go with that.

• Sturgeon's Law, as first coined by SF author Theodore Sturgeon:

"I repeat Sturgeon’s Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of SF is crud. Using the same standards that categorize 90% of science fiction as trash, crud, or crap, it can be argued that 90% of film, literature, consumer goods, etc. are crap. In other words, the claim (or fact) that 90% of science fiction is crap is ultimately uninformative, because science fiction conforms to the same trends of quality as all other artforms."

^Pretty much.

^^Something's fishy here...

• I wouldn't call it "hacking" so much as "you gave me the account in an act of love".  Except that I didn't post anything on it because that would be rude, and besides, I have my own tumblr.

Goddamnit, poni, you're supposed to help me and cover my back when I need you to! ;~;

Anyway, derails aside, I think I've gone long and plenty about media dismissal on shaky grounds.

However, I should point out that there's nothing wrong per se with say, not playing a Zelda game if you're not interested in what the Zelda games have to offer, as long as you admit that you're not being interested in it is not because of any faulty features in the game so much as a personal preference of yours.

Fun fact: this IJBM actually came out of my father's artistic dismissal of romance novel.

Out of one artistic ghetto, into another...

• I thought "not liking romantic fiction" was a fairly common characteristic of fathers, a bit like complaining about "kids these days" and "that awful modern music."

But I agree, it is ridiculous to dismiss all novels with a plot involving a romantic relationship because you hate the slushy crappy ones. That's rejecting a big chunk of fiction.

• "But Jane Eyre is terrible too."

Careful, don't summon Kaschei. 

Kaschei can't come back from the dead. I've already made sure of that.

• I think even Kash disliked Jane Eyre.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Kashchei ain't welcome here; she's already been banned as notwithstanding.

Is there a TVT-related forum she hasn't been banned from?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Heaper's Hangout?

We all know that Everest.

• edited 2012-02-21 20:17:23
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "We all know that Everest."

Well, those who've posted so far, but I figure it can't hurt to recap in case a newer member pops in and asks. Then again, I'd prefer not talking about her in the first place, so there's also that, but maybe that's just me.

I'd pretty much prefer if we didn't have to go through this annoyingly boring conversation, either. The original topic is more interesting.