If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Comments

• What do you expect from a book whose title encourages an illegal behavior?

• No rainbow star
    Some titles exaggerate to get more attention, so I was expecting something that just tells you how to live cheaply

Didn't expect the title to be that accurate to the contents
  • You can tell the author is serious and informed, because he spells America with a K!

I can't count the number of books like this I've seen so far.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Do hitchhikers even exist anymore?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I saw one a couple of years ago, I think...

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-20 14:21:52

I saw one every couple weeks when I was commuting to work, though I can't be sure he ever got a ride.  Highly unlikely since he was thumbing on the freeway onramp instead of in town near the exit where people can actually stop.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, that's where the one I saw was too.

• But you never had any to begin with.

You sometimes see them around here.

• edited 2012-02-21 14:34:25

Some context on this - Abbie Hoffman was a radical student leader of the late 60s, so basically this book came out of that hippie/underground culture. I have seen it mentioned once before, in a book my Dad owns about oddballs and eccentrics which included a chapter on Jerry Rubin, who was a compadre of Hoffman.

The author commented that he had intended to review the book "but it had been stolen from every public library in the city of Chicago."

As for hitchhiking - it used to be a lot more common in the 60s and 70s, but then every serial killer and rapist around worked out it was an easy way to get hold of victims and it stopped being so popular. You used to see hitchikers around motorway service stations when I was a kid in the 80s, but I haven't seen one for years.

Jerry Rubin also used to spell America with a "k". I think it must have been a "Row, row, fight the power, screw the Man" kind of thing to do at the time.

• The frat holds a hitchhiking contest every year: I've participated two times(previous summer it was to Berlin). It's always done in pairs, and you generally have more luck if you've got a chick with you. You mostly get picked up by nostalgic hitchhikers or students. One of them told that hitchhiking is much more common in France because public transport is hella expansive over there.

If you spell America with a k, then you actually look like a villanous crocodilian from the Donkey Kong Country series.

• Or one of the designers of Mortal Kombat.

Or Rob Liefeld.

• You mean to tell me that spelling the country Amerikkka isn't a bold political statement?

Oh yes it is.  It's a bold political statement advocating denying monkeys their right to bananas.