If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The IBM Model M keyboard

edited 2012-02-19 02:27:13 in IJAM

Oh God, that sound...

It's like a hailstorm written by Beethoven.

Comments

• Oh god, I love those old clicky keyboards.

I had an off-brand one a few years ago but unfortunately it had one of those big old-fashioned plugs that won't fit into any of the computers I have now so my mother made me throw it away. :(

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

y u so noisy

• I think that was the other reason she made me throw it away. I drove her insane with the typing.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

my keys are remarkably quieter than that (except my spacebar)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> Oh god, I love those old clicky keyboards.

This.

That said, sometimes I do want my typing to be as quiet as possible, such as when I am doing something sneakily.

• ^^ You probably have a different kind of keyboard, then.

The Model M is a buckling-spring keyboard, which means under each key cap is a spring that, well, buckles whenever you press a key, and makes that distinctive clicking sound.

Most keyboards today--especially in laptops and the like--forgo individual springs in favor of one large rubber pad with a little dome under each key cap. It makes them much quieter, but you lose some of the tactile feedback.

Which one is better at maintaining function over long periods of time?

I know that I've had some rubber domes stop registering signals properly.  I'm not sure whether it's mechanical failure or dust/grime, but it's happened that I have to press a key really hard to get a signal out of it.  Or at least, merely depressing it to get that clicking feeling doesn't work; you have to push harder.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Everybody knows that the best keyboard is the butterfly keyboard of the ThinkPad.

• If you guys think that keyboard was noisy, you've obviously never heard an old manual typewriter in action.

I actually prize those old keyboards for their noises and feel; those big keys are a bit more comfortable for playing games on.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

^^ I loved playing with the typewriter when I was a kid. Out of habit, I still bash my keyboard keys more forcefully than I should. Those things were damn hard to click, or it's just because I was a kid back then. I don't think I've seen an actual typewriter in the last ten years.

• No rainbow star
    Were they actually typing something or going, "Lol i haz keebord"?

Our local library has typewriters.

• No rainbow star

If that was at my post: Sorry, my post was meant for the OP

• ^^^ They're probably just tapping random buttons.