If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY ZOMBIE-MASSACREING GAMES

2»

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

My only disappointment is that it was, from the beginning, going to come down to romance. I don't think you need romance when Mordred is the secret Vampire King of England and your main character is a prospective queen with powers ripped from Buffy. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Especially when it's all described so melodramatically.

• You can change. You can.

The whole "Needs blood to drink" thing is kind of intrinsic to being a vampire

Besides what Alex said about it not being at the core of the original myth, I'm just gonna point out the fact that we change and rewrite myths accrding to our modern fears and sensibilities. If a writer decides to throw out the blood sucking element out of the window, he's allowed to, provided he can still make vampires both recognizable and scary.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Take a look at the plot of the book I Am Legend; wherein it's revealed that the zombies aren't mindless killing machines.

I'm just glad it isn't more vampires, honestly.

The creatures in the I am Legend book were more drawing on vampires than zombies, what with the burning in the sunlight, garlic smell (later shown to be something to do with chemicals) keeping them away and the fact even some of the female infected (who aren't part of the newly developing society) try to seduce Neville out his house.

Although it isn't a traditional/gothic take on vampirism but more of a scientific approach instead.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Hey, Plants Vs Zombies is awesome. :<

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Hey, Plants Vs Zombies is awesome. :<

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I still think zombies are pretty boss despite gaming and nerdity's insistence on ruining them. I actually think World War Z's a pretty awesome book and Night of The Living Dead and Re-Animator are still some of my favorite movies.

I agree with Alex's statement that plenty of zombie fiction lately don't even go back to the roots of Night of The Living Dead, what with the oppressive atmosphere gone in Resident Evil 5. (It's at least there in the beginning of four. No more in 5) The reason is clear that most people don't actually like the idea of claustrophobic horror that zombies provide which also leads to humans becoming monsters themselves. People want kitsch and masculine power fantasy, and while there's nothing wrong with that it's not really compatible with zombies.

I really can't stand nerds who talk about their great zombie survival plans (often forgetting they need a place to sleep, eat, and shit) because it's the same massive macho gun-stroking bullshit that pisses me off. Someone needs to start a story where people survive a zombie apocalypse by starting a farming commune and minding their own shit.

Also 'Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters' needs to fucking stop. The first joke was cute but now it's the same joke over and over again, which even the creator understood as his new joke was an actual piece of historical fiction.

• edited 2012-02-18 11:01:30

"In short, zombies have successfully become a parody of themselves. By accident, and it seems without the larger portion of the gaming community realising this. "

"Hey, Plants Vs Zombies is awesome. :<"

And I do think George Fan and co. at least are aware of that, since they ran with it.

Someone needs to start a story where people survive a zombie apocalypse by starting a farming commune and minding their own shit.

This would actually make an awesome survival horror game. 

Oh sure, have guns and action and shit, too, but also resource and shelter management for at least a dozen or so people. 

Honestly, I think zombies can be done well and in terms of gaming, they can be downright amazing at acreating an atmosphere of horror and whatnot. (Obligatory Magic pimping here)

However, the problem I see is simply that what people want right now is to kill things in games. Who da thunk it.

What is dead may never die, Juan. 

But only rise harder and stronger. 

hott

• edited 2012-02-18 12:15:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh, I forgot to mention Dead Meets Lead and Resident Evil, though I'm not sure that that last one is really about zombie-killing that much.  I mean, I could mention Castlevania and Ghosts n Goblins/Ghouls n Ghosts, but those more so star a melting pot of undead and demonic creatures, with zombies merely putting in an appearance.

Resident Evil is all about zombies, dude

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't know, have never played, and have barely heard of Resident Evil.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Resident Evil does have quite a few bioweapons, though. Like lickers.

• edited 2012-02-18 12:27:13
    Has friends besides tanks now

Resident Evil is about zombies. But from what I've heard (mostly from Malk), it's beginning to fall more and more into the territory of "fuck atmosphere, here are some zombies for you to kill".

Resident Evil was never that excellent in a narrative sense, but the first one certainly made zombies highly threatening adversaries. Most of them were slow as anything, but what they lacked in speed, they made up for in resilience and determination. They even followed you room-to-room sometimes in the Gamecube remake. 

Resident Evil does have quite a few bioweapons, though. Like lickers.

For everyone of these, there is at least one zombie shark. Just sayin'

Resident Evil started as a survival horror game, evolved over time to action horror (RE4 getting the formula) and with RE5 it went to full action which was a problem because the game controls didn't evolve to change this shift in attitude. Fortunately, Revelations seems to be going back to something of a mix of RE classic and 4. 

I think while the stories were always somewhere north of Ed Wood and somewhere south of Hammer Horror sequels (I'd say they're about at Dracula 1972 A.D.) but they're distinct and memorable for how joyously insane the plots are, and more importantly, how memorable the set pieces and characters are.

Even RE5, for all its flaws, had great set pieces like the Indiana Jones temple and the chase across the savannah. Granted they were action pieces, but they were memorable and exciting and the right kind of cinematic. The best in capturing horror is definitely the opening sequence of RE4 which is actually somewhat reminiscent of The Shadow Over Innsmouth with the hostile, strange-looking townies that become outright violent. Running through that town is frantic and just as you get the shotgun and think you've got the advantage OH FUCK LEATHERFACE. RE5 really screwed the pooch trying to copy it by having you constantly be radioed that help was coming.

Even Resi 4 bit itself in the foot, though. For all the strength of its opening sequences and even the castle, it ended spreading itself too thin. Not that I don't enjoy escapes from exploding islands, or even think they're inappropriate for Resident Evil (hahaha), it's just that consistency is a pretty important thing. Going from a decrepit village to a castle to a secret bioengineering base was probably a bit too much for it to handle and keep the tone up. 

Oh it got pretty crazy near the end, but I think it still worked by and large. The important thing is how well it set the mood initially which led to be more forgiving and latter screw-ups

WHAT THE FUCK BURNING MAN POPPING OUT OF FRIDGE!

I thought the burning man was a neat touch and reminder of old Resi jump scares.

Personally, while the third act was rather lousy in terms of atmosphere, it still had the Regenerators and that shit was the scariest shit in that game. 

But then:

Chicago typewriter. 

That was a fun playthrough. 

Seriously, first time that burning dude popped out I unloaded my entire magnum reflexively.

Lameo.

not like "Dropping the controller" is a better reaction >_>

• ^^ I'll admit to this.