If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I am one of the Marie Antoinettes of the gaming world

2»

Comments

• "There can be little appeal in a show like The Sopranos, or the endless trail of gangster flicks, beyond open bully-worship."

I don't watch the show, but isn't the point of the Sopranos that Tony is a terrible human being who shouldn't be envied or idolized?

• You can change. You can.

[relevant truffaut quote goes here]

• True, true.

At least we no longer feel the need to stage gladiator games. That's a step forward in violent media.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

UFC. 

• UFC is infinitely better than gladiator games in that UFC doesn't involve actually killing anyone.

• edited 2012-02-19 12:12:03
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

The historical reality was that gladiators actually rarely died. In the vast, vast majority of cases, the fight was called before a fatal or fatally injurious blow could be struck. Stories of gladiators dying are generally accidents or a subsuming of public executions into the gladitorial games, not unlike the trials by combat of the medieval period. 

• Well... um... okay, then.

• edited 2012-02-19 12:17:27
    (void)

I thought that the Emperor could tell the victorious gladiator to finish off their opponent.  Is that part of the subsuming of public executions thing you mention?

Either way, UFC is infinitely better than gladiator games in that UFC competitors are generally not slaves, because of the part where we don't have slavery anymore.

Jus' saiyan, ritualised violence is ritualised violence. 

• The Emperor wouldn't exactly want to kill off a popular gladiator or one who had given a good show, so the finishing off would only happen if the gladiator was somehow a threat or a criminal for whom this would be an execution.

• edited 2012-02-19 12:29:07
    (void)

I also heard that gladiatorial matches were instituted because the elders felt that young Romans weren't blood-thirsty enough, which is an interesting twist on the usual moral panic.

I can't confirm nor deny that, but it's an interesting little tidbit. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Well it's no like there's a dearth of people now worrying that men today are too 'soft'
  • You can change. You can.

[insert relevant chuck palahniuk quote here]