If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Your favourite (serious) quotes

edited 2012-02-14 19:17:36 in General
You can change. You can.

Because some people would appreciate it, I guess:

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe." -- The Bṛhadāraṇyaka Upanishad

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I have only made one prayer in my life. A very short one. 'O God, please make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it-Voltaire

• We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one. - Voltaire

Coz Voltaire is very quotable.

• edited 2012-02-14 19:51:55
    You can change. You can.

I see your two Voltaire quotes and raise you two Jorge Luis Borges

I cannot think it unlikely that there is such a total book on some shelf in the universe. I pray to the unknown gods that some man — even a single man, tens of centuries ago — has perused and read this book. If the honor and wisdom and joy of such a reading are not to be my own, then let them be for others. Let heaven exist, though my own place may be in hell. Let me be tortured and battered and annihilated, but let there be one instant, one creature, wherein thy enormous Library may find its justification.

Any life, however long and complicated it may be, actually consists of a single moment — the moment when a man knows forever more who he is.

• My favorite passage of English ever is the Wave Speech in Fear and Loathing.

"So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes, you can almost see the high water mark. That place where the wave finally broke... and rolled back."

;_:

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

"I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men and German to my horse"-Carlos I of Spain

• A witty saying proves nothing.

-Also Voltaire.

• You can change. You can.

No one spoke. There was no need. The threat of the Eldrazi presented a simple choice: lay down your weapons and die for nothing, or hold them fast and die for something.

yes, juan is a nerd, big surprise.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

If we are playing fictional...

Tom Hansen!

Go for it? You can do it? That's not inspirational; that's suicidal! If pickles goes for it right there that's a dead cat. Lies, were liars think about it, why do people buy these things? It's not because they wanna say how they feel, people buy cards cause they can't say how they feel or they're afraid too. We provide the service that lets them off the hook. You know what? I say to hell with it. Lets level with America at least let them speak for themselves right I mean look, look. What is this, what does this say? 'Congratulations on your new baby.' How about 'congratulations on your new baby, guess that's it for hanging out, nice knowing ya.' How about this one? With all the pretty hearts on the front, I think I know where this one's going. Yup 'Happy Valentine's Day sweetheart, I love you.' Isn't that sweet? Ain't love grand? This is exactly what I'm talking about. What does that even mean, love? Do you know? Do you? Anybody? If somebody gave me this card, Mr. Vance, I'd eat it. It's these cards, and the movies and the pop songs, they're to blame for all the lies and the heartache, everything. We're responsible. I'M responsible. I think we do a bad thing here. People should be able to say how they feel, how they really feel, not ya know, some words that some stranger put in their mouth. Words like love, that don't mean anything. Sorry, I'm sorry, I um, I quit. There's enough bullshit in the world without my help.

After that it got pretty late, and, we both had to go, but it was great seeing Annie again. I realized what a terrific person she was and how much fun it was just knowing her, and I thought of that old joke. You know, this guy goes to his psychiatrist and says, "Doc, my brother's crazy. He thinks he's a chicken." And the doctor says, "Well why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships– you know, they're totally irrational and crazy and absurd, but, I guess we keep going through it because most of us need the eggs.

Man, remember when Woody Allen wasn't a bad parody of himself?

yeah yeah i know, midnight in paris, whatever.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    If pickles goes for it right there that's a dead cat.

what?

• edited 2012-02-14 21:31:22
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The rant starts with a critique to a fellow co-worker photos of her cat, and their validity as thank card image material.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-14 22:11:27

My favorite quotes kind of reflect the fact that, for various reasons, a good portion of my growing up over the last ten or so years has actually been rather therapeutic and much-needed growing down and reclaiming my idealism.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."  ~ Roald Dahl

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."  ~ Carl Sagan

"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"  ~ Death, The Hogfather

And of course, the obligatory...

I feel it necessary to mention that that quote was actually a pretty major epiphany for me back when I was in high school (God I loved theater), so it holds a lot of personal meaning.  I was not remotely surprised to see it pop up years later in my life with the ponies.

borges wrote something about that, too!

Of course, like all young men, I tried to be as unhappy as I could — a kind of Hamlet and Raskolnikov rolled into one.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    “For a moment everything was clear, and when that happens you see that the world is barely there at all. Don't we all secretly know this? It's a perfectly balanced mechanism of shouts and echoes pretending to be wheels and cogs, a dreamclock chiming beneath a mystery-glass we call life. Behind it? Below it and around it? Chaos, storms. Men with hammers, men with knives, men with guns. Women who twist what they cannot dominate and belittle what they cannot understand. A universe of horror and loss surrounding a single lighted stage where mortals dance in defiance of the dark.”
    I really like this quote from the Stephen King novel 11/22/63. i dunno, lol
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Books must be treated with respect, we feel that in our bones, because words have power. Bring enough words together they can bend space and time.” 
    ― Terry Pratchett

Let others brag about the pages they have written; I'm proud of those I've read.

guess

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

someone who doesn't read a lot?

shakespeare?

jimi hendrix?

• edited 2012-02-14 22:37:17
    You can change. You can.

^^ Close, but no dice

^ding ding ding

Not granting me the Nobel Prize has become a Scandinavian tradition; since I was born — August 24, 1899 — they have not been granting it to me.

obviously einstein

• It's Borges again.  Juan is being a total Borges fanboy here.

I need to find/read more Borges stories.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"  ~ Death, The Hogfather

This is one of my favourites, but Terry Pratchett's work has a wealth of these. I can't help but smile or laugh at them -- not because they're funny, but because their kind-hearted eloquence simply makes me happy. 

• Yeah, I love Pratchett for that.

It's Borges again. Juan is being a total Borges fanboy here.

when have i not been one. :p

but yeah, part of the reason I made this thread was because I found my old copy of "Ficciones" in between all of my old books and remembered why I used to love this guy so much. He's probably one of the most passionate artists I've ever read, and the fact that he kept on writing even through his blindness, while trying to convey and describe a world he no longer could see appeals to the romantic in me.

I need to find/read more Borges stories.

Google has been surprisingly helpful in finding some of Ficciones stories in English. Although I don't know which you have read already, though, so I won't link without knowing what not to link.

• Well if we are to include quotes from fictional characters:

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

-Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring

• "Who the fuck are you?"

"I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy."

-Sergeant Dignam (Mark Wahlberg), The Departed

"It all in the game."

-Aaron Barksdale, The Wire

"I am Alexander the Great."

"I am Diogenes the Dog."

"Why do men call you a dog?"

"I fawn on those who give me anything, I bark at those who refuse and I set my teeth in rascals."

"And what can I do for you?"

"Stand out of my light."

Alleged conversation between Alexander the Great and the ancient Greek philosopher Diogenes, 4th century AD.

"It all in the game."

-the whole fucking cast of The Wire

Fixed.

• "To make the individual uncomfortable, that is my task”-Friedrich Nietzsche

"The more beautiful and pure something is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt"-anon

"Life is short and truth works far and lives long: let us speak the truth." -- Arthur Schopenhauer