If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Saying one thing when you meant to say something else

edited 2012-02-13 21:48:54 in Meatspace

Ok, so I assume all or most of you are familiar with the concept of a Freudian slip, where you mean to say something ordinary but something inappropriate or private that was lurking in your mind slips out instead. (Or as a professor at my school is famously quoted as saying, "A Freudian slip is when you mean to say 'Please pass the salt.' but instead say 'Bitch, why'd you raise me this way?!'") Well, this can happen with mundane results too. 

I have at least once mixed up "afternoon" and "weekend", and "motorhome" and "minivan" when talking. These happened entirely or mostly at home with my family. Just yesterday afternoon I said "Kung Fu" to my editor at the newspaper instead of "Tae Kwon Do", and when I caught my mistake a second later she just laughed and said "I don't know the difference". This was slightly dismaying, though since she's Chinese at least it solidly disproves stereotypes about Asians and martial arts knowledge. 

Anyway, whenever I make these mistakes (and there are other times, really, but I can't remember the details), I get really embarrassed and have the even more embarrassing tendency to facepalm vigorously, which is much less cool in real life than on the internet. Like, I usually literally hit my own face, almost involuntarily. The worst part for me is that when I get apologetic, it turns out usually people don't notice. I think this either means no one plays very close attention to much of anything, or people specifically tune me out if I'm talking too much or too fast.

Anyway, slight personal whining aside, does this sort of thing happen to any of you a lot? Do other people notice? Do you even notice? If it's happened in any memorable ways to any of you, what was it that you said? Has anyone here had any real sexual/profane Freudian slips?