If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How magic is portrayed as working.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

You attempted to patronize me and then snarked at me a post later. I don't really associate that with someone who's in a good mood.

But I do that to everyone

really, i do

even ask juan

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I think I had this conversation with Everest before. About Madoka. I think.

• edited 2012-02-14 21:51:07
    You can change. You can.

--eats cookie--

ETA: Yes. But to be honest, while I know you're jesting and I don't mind it, I can see why it'd bother him.

• edited 2012-02-14 21:53:33
    Has friends besides tanks now

I think I had this conversation with Everest before. About Madoka. I think.

Indeed. That's where I got the idea to make the reference to my "axioms" being different from the others, and it helped me to realize that I value plot more than characters (generally).

But I do that to everyone

really, i do

even ask juan

I know. No offense, but it makes it really, really hard to tell when you're in a good mood.

• edited 2012-02-14 21:53:33
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I know. No offense, but it makes it really, really hard to tell when you're in a good mood.

Why are people making assumptions about my mood, is what I wanna know.

is my good mood really that important to everyone

i mean, im flattered and all, but

(Also, I didn't start swearing in a non-jokey way. That's usually the easiest way to tell. That and my posts aren't half a page long yet. Well, that would be a full page on this forum as the page is so narrow.)

• You can change. You can.

Because bad moods lead to bad discussions.

• edited 2012-02-14 21:54:46

Why are people making assumptions about my mood, is what I wanna know.

My bad for assuming you weren't in a good mood, but it honestly seemed like you weren't, especially with the part about the headache.

is my good mood really that important to everyone

What Juan said.

• edited 2012-02-14 22:05:15
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Because bad moods lead to bad discussions.

i know

although i have had lots of discussions with everyone while im in a bad mood and people dont even notice

im talking in lowcaps that should let you know im not even being serious.

My bad for assuming you weren't in a good mood, but it honestly seemed like you weren't, especially with the part about the headache.

I wouldn't say I'm in a good mood, but I'm not in a bad mood. Also, derail lol. My fault for the derail, I apologize.

• Has friends besides tanks now

-reflects on the thread-

Well, that was something.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Death Note

I think the characters of Light and L are actually at very least compelling (if not actually good) characters as their many fans would attest.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, that was something.

but it was not quite drama!

I think the characters of Light and L are actually at very least compelling (if not actually good) characters as their many fans would attest.

if the rabid shipping means anything

I can't argue against L, but Light's kind of...lacking in many regards. His plans and schemes are interesting, but his motivation's pretty much bullshit from the get-go and his treatment of the rest of the cast's really uninteresting (I'LL BE AS SMUG AND HAMMY AS I CAN BE FUCK YOU)

Light's an interesting case of someone with smarts and charisma, but the lack of a moral compass to use it with

Even Misa?

As for Light, I'm not going to say he's really all that detailed a character and his decision to go bonkers and kill people is pretty weak. Still his (necessary)  paranoia and violent mood swings do make for a memorable character.

• edited 2012-02-14 22:21:39

I'd comment, but I feel like I'd inadvertently drag myself into another debate, and fuck that, it's 11:20 PM and I've already been doing this for two hours.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-14 22:28:21

Hell, take My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who says they watch it for the plot

...Unfortunate choice of words given the example :P

How so?

I think he's referring to the macro with all the ass-shots that says 'I watch it for the plot'.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-14 22:28:13

Yeah, the internet being what it is, "plot" became a euphemism for pony ass.

Anyway, yeah, characters are considerably more important than the story itself.  IMO though, they're also the more difficult part to write by a longshot, so there's really no reason to have good characters and an ass-backwards storyline.

Even Misa?

Exception that proves the rule.

I think he's referring to the macro with all the ass-shots that says 'I watch it for the plot'.

I remember those. I wish I didn't.

Anyway, yeah, characters are considerably more important than the story itself.

Note that one of the biggest complains about harem anime is that their leads are boring.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-14 22:33:41

And disaster movies, horror flicks, slashers, romantic comedies, sitcoms, and harem slasher anime sitcoms set during disasters.

harem slasher anime sitcoms set during disasters.

how can you complain about a gift from god himself

• Do any of those exist?

Higurashi, maybe, but that was ruined by being Higurashi.

You know what I realized a few months ago about Smallville?

Unlikable, ineffectual protagonist. Plenty of women inexplicably in love with him. Lots of borderline-creepy fanservice, plot only serves to further awkward romantic entanglement bullshit.

It's totally a harem anime.

Just like Ranma, except without hints of lesbianism due to being a girl half the time.

Do any of those exist?

Higurashi, maybe, but that was ruined by being Higurashi.

oh snap, forzare. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I find the argument of magical progression being tied to the spirituality or spiritual progression of the characters very compelling. 

Unfortunately, something like a video game has to deal with its media limitations. While something like this could be done -- attributes that rise and fall based on the character's goals, drives and state of mind -- it would still fall far short of the narrative relevance of magic in literature. 

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I can see how Ranma is unlikeable, but inneffective?

I wasn't being serious.