If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who write out "Men's Rights Activist" in full

edited 2012-02-10 19:12:21 in General

Not because it's a waste of space, although it is, but because every MRA I've ever seen uses that as a cover for misogyny and does not care one bit about men's rights. (Possibly excluding Leigh Sabio, I dunno how she identifies.) So it just feels WRONG calling them "Men's Rights Activists"; it's as if the KKK insisted that people call them White Rights Activists. Even worse, really, because there's totally a use for legitimate men's rights activists out there, if the gender equivalent of the KKK hadn't stolen our damn term. 

Comments

• Also, posting stuff on the internet does not amount to "activism", at least not on its own. It's like claiming that having conversations with your friends about politics makes you a political activist.

People who actually campaign on the limited number of issues where you can make a case for men being in a worse position than women don't usually call themself MRAs (e.g. Fathers 4 Justice in the UK, which campaigns for fathers to get a better deal in custody arrangements after divorce). I think this is partly because the phrase has come to mean "bitter and selfish internet mysogynist," but partly because not all men are (e.g.) fathers.

It's absurd to claim that men, as men, are generally disadvantaged across a wide range of issues in the way women, as women, are.

• Men, as men, are generally disadvantaged across a wide range of issues in the way (but not to the extent) women, as women, are.

It's not absurd, it's true. Socially very limited emotional range (which extends to very limited choice in clothing), the buffoonish stereotype of men across all media, the pervasive and quite damaging stereotype that men always want sex (which plays into...), rape of men being widely downplayed and ignored...

Patriarchy really DOES hurt men too, in many real ways. This is really the main reason I'm so mad, because the phrase "men's rights activists" got stolen by a bunch of misogynists whining about custody and false rape accusations.

• "the pervasive and quite damaging stereotype that men always want sex (which plays into...)"

...men buying into the stereotype to please peer pressure?

• Yes, which contributes to "rape of men being widely downplayed and ignored".

Because if they always want it, you can't rape them, right?