If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This is an imaginary thread

edited 2012-02-07 21:50:24 in Wonderful posts
You can change. You can.

but in the end...aren't they all?

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

boo

• You can change. You can.

i don't understand, it's not a pun

it doesn't need to be a pun

...but it's genius! D:

well, admittedly, changing "Story" to "thread" kinda ruins the quote, but whatever.

• But you never had any to begin with.

There was a thread that did not exist. And the reason that it did not exist was so that the count was correct, and nobody would die.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

damn this was a good book

Anyway, I was just thinking of this story a while back after rereading Gaiman's "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" and then I started to think of what this statement means beyond the context under which is brought up. 

I mean, it's clear that what Moore's saying that the story he's about to tell is not necessarily canonical, but on the other hand, it's clear he's suggesting that maybe no story is necessarily canonical and that we all decide on what is "canon", by which I mean, that canon is nothing but a fandom/social construct of sorts and it's not something inherent to a story or a series of stories as even the author's interpretation of the story can be dismissed if the reader desires it. 

I guess it's a bit of an exaggeration, as stories need to rely on a clear concept of what's happening and what isn't happening. Reality vs dream and illusion, if you will. Then again, fiction's not bound by the same laws of reality, and it doesn't have to rely on such a dichotomy to be understood.

or maybe i'm just overanalyzing a simple quote. wouldn't surprise me.

I would agree with all of your post but the final sentence. Moore was just one of those dudes. 

Is, Alex. But he's also the kind of dude who'd leave a deceptively deep quote lying around just for readers to start thinking "Is he high? What was he thinking?" when he's thinking "You know, I want people to think that I'm high tonight. I dunno why, but I do"

Is, Alex.

No, he's a wizard now.

Maybe.

Moore has become one with the Green. 

also, i'm obligated to link this

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I cannot defeat my enemies, but I can imagine what can defeat them! That is my power!

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Man, remember when Alan Moore was a guiding voice in comics and not a cantankerous spiteful man who refuses to make peace with anyone?

Not really. I don't think he was a wizard then. 

turns out that old cynical existentialist writers get grumpy when they're older

and magical too

Juan confirmed for 'most likely IJBMer to become a wizard'. 

Grant Morrison's wizardry is less grumpy and Alan Moore never channeled the spirit of John Lennon to write a song.

• edited 2012-02-07 23:24:40
    You can change. You can.

I'm not a writer! come back here so i can skin you for insulting me like that >:|

^But has Grant actually written Alice in Wonderland slashfic? No? THEN HE ISN'T A WIZARD, DAMNYOU

> publication internship
    > "not a writer"

Juan STILL confirmed for most likely IJBMer to become a wizard.

The thing about Grant Morrison's wizardry is that it's a lot less grjuanpy grumpy than Alan Moore's and I'm pretty sure Alan could channel the spirit of Richard the Lionheart if he really wanted. 

^^Dude if that's wizardry half the doujin writers in Japan are archmages. =P

> publication internship
    > "not a writer"

hey, i only got published because i criticized other people harshly >:[

^^Dude if that's wizardry half the doujin writers in Japan are archmages. =P

fuck yes i mean really, to be honest, if i were moore, i'd probably had become a "recluse" (For lack of a better word, really) long before 1999-ish