If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Tonsilliths

edited 2012-02-02 17:09:41 in General

Tonsilliths are a disgusting, irritating, untreatable and wide-spread hygiene problem you still never, ever hear about until you have to deal with them.

If you've kept your tonsils into your adulthood, they may become "cryptic," meaning they degrade over time and develop sponge-like pores and convoluted internal crevices. These become traps for microscopic food particles and home to sulfur-producing bacteria, which will grow overnight into large, white "stones" that tickle the back of your throat every time you swallow. You have to carefully dig them out using whatever tools you can (I use the pick ends of plastic flossers) without gagging, after which your tonsils gush blood and you get a big, stinking whiff of sulfur from the "stone" itself. If not taken care of in the morning you'll eventually start to smell and taste it in the back of your throat.

Sometimes weeks go by where I don't get any of them, then suddenly my tonsils will be packed with them. They can become so large overnight that they have to be pulled out in chunks.

My mother thought she'd be progressive and defy all advice to have my tonsils removed as a child. A childhood spent half bedridden with infections and an adult life digging this gross fucking crap out of my throat is the result. If you want your tonsils taken out after your teens, tough shit, because most doctors will refuse until you've got a serious condition they can link to them.

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

What about if you don't/can't dig them out?

• Then they keep growing, stinking and tickling until they're so big, your tonsils are swollen taught. You'll either get an infection, or finally, swallowing will cause them to be popped out into the back of your throat which usually gags you.

• Glaives are better.

Okay, now I'm paranoid that I'll get them. 

• They just suddenly started one day, inexplicably, though I had a girlfriend briefly who said she used to get them when she still had her tonsils, and I've seen other people claim they, too, didn't have them until "catching" them somehow.

Different people do have different microorganisms in their mouths.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Yeah, I'm going to second the paranoia regarding this now, especially the having to dig them out or swallow them.

*shudder*

• No rainbow star
    D:
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I'm glad I read this after I ate.

• because most doctors will refuse until you've got a serious condition they can link to them.

...Like tonsilliths?

One more reason I'm glad I haven't had them since I was six.

• edited 2012-02-02 22:06:43

They don't consider tonsilliths serious at all.

Last year I had a throat infection that lasted two whole months, resisting three courses of antibiotic. This was not considered valid reason to remove my tonsils.

Multiple doctors told me I'd have to prove multiple, separate infections within something like a six month time frame for a hospital to even consider the operation at my age (28).

• No rainbow star
    ^ Why is it so bad to remove them from an adult?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-02 23:33:10

Yeah, I mean my tonsil problems left me really, really ill and continuously doped up on antibiotics for the first six years of my life.  If you're getting this stuff regularly, that's serious.

^ Adults have a slightly higher chance of bleeding when the scabs slough off.

• Really? I just heard they didn't like to because they think it's a waste of time and resources unless an adult really can't live with their tonsils.

• Let me rephrase.  The slightly higher chance of bleeding (like, less than 10%) is the justification used for what you just said.

• No rainbow star
    ...Ok that's more in the, "Well, we won't recommend this, but if you want to have them removed..." territory and not the, "NO!" territory =/