If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"I'm a girl gamer! Don't flirt with me silly boys!"

edited 2012-01-30 19:20:45 in General
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I have never seen this stereotype in actuality.

Never.

Comments

• You've never seen a girl gamer?  :|

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Oh I've seen girl gamers. I've just never seen the obnoxious 'won't shut up about defying gender roles' stereotype people on the intertubes bitch about.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-01-30 19:31:55

The only girl I remember playing with who might have been inclined to get flustered about someone hitting on her didn't so much.  Probably had something to do with the fact that 1) her fiancee got at least three times as many propositions, and 2) she was a hunter and would swiftly get revenge by misdirecting raid monsters onto the offender.

clingy...

• To be fair, her fiancee looked kinda like Ryan Reynolds.

• Glaives are better.

I've met one IRL. She goes to my school, is desperate for attention, wears extremely low-cut tight fitting shirts with popular video game characters on them (one of them even saying "HEY, LISTEN" which I found to be hilarious for the obvious reason), sleeps with EVERYONE and is extremely annoying.

But unless there's a whole class of neckbeard that does nothing but make fake Steam profiles for annoying young women seeking attention, I think the stereotype has some grounds in reality, even if it's rare.

• There's this fellow student who seems to think that she's facing an unreasonable amount of discrimination from nerds for being female. I guess I can't know for sure how bad it really is, but I get the feeling she's being oversensitive about it.

• They're somethin' else.

I know a few. They wear at least 3 articles of clothing and accessories that read "I <3 nerds"

And boy are they fucking annoying.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-01-30 20:00:41

But unless there's a whole class of neckbeard that does nothing but make fake Steam profiles for annoying young women seeking attention, I think the stereotype has some grounds in reality, even if it's rare.

Both, actually.

On the other hand, there are enough obnoxious douchecakes on the internet -- and disproportionately more in certain circles -- that if someone gets pissed off about being hit on continually it's probably a good idea to give them benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise.

>But unless there's a whole class of neckbeard that does nothing but make fake Steam profiles for annoying young women seeking attention

You say that LIKE THAT VERY THING DIDN'T HAPPEN HERE.

• I've never met this kind of person either. The only "girl gamers" I know are girls who genuinely enjoy playing video games.

• a little muffled

Vivi had a Steam profile?

• You can change. You can.

That happened here?

^TWICE.

Vivi and TMA.

• Wait, there were people who didn't know TMA was a dude?

No, TMA was also Princess Apricot.

• edited 2012-01-30 20:14:46
    Has friends besides tanks now

I wasn't that annoyed by "Vivi" at first, to be honest. I was never too fond of "PrincessApricot", but more in a "she's so quirky that she's unnoticeable" way, as opposed to the "I don't want her around" way.

• Oh.  I had the feeling Apricot was someone's sockpuppet, but never really bothered to give it any thought.

• Did Vivi go under another name I might know? Also, I guess I missed the memo that he was masquerading as a female, but that doesn't surprise me for some reason.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Vivi --> Saturn --> SukeSho

• a little muffled

He was Suke Sho on TV Tropes...and pretended to be a girl for his first couple months there too.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I never understood the appeal of that.

• The only example I can think of is a chick who bragged about using her femininity to gain favours in WoW. I'm fine with all neckbeardsploitation as long as the dudette in question retains some semblance of dignity.

• IJBM in a nutshell:

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I should really watch that show sometime.
  • I don't think I can overstate my love for the show. It's honestly more enjoyable to me than any other cartoon. Yes, and I'm including THAT cartoon.
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

But I saw it in Ctrl-Alt-Delete! It must be true!

• a little muffled

Man, it's weird how much the dog guy sounds like Bender.

I also need to watch that show sometime.

^It's because it's the same voice actor. He also does Aquaman in Batman: Brave and the Bold.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-01-30 21:17:42

It's not weird at all.  It's John DiMaggio using his "not-Drakken" voice.  Hell, it's not even the first dog he's given that voice to.