If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Historical bias.

edited 2012-01-30 07:22:07 in General
One foot in front of the other, every day.

The Romans were great, the various tribal peoples of Europe were shit.

Even you can do better than this, History Channel.

Comments

• Champion of the Whales

Is there any context to that or did the History Channel say that the Romans were great and the various tribes were shit?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Some documentary. I mean, I show the History Channel isn't particularly well known for exceptional academic perspective, but still. It could stand to up its game in a variety of ways, and this would be one of those ways that doesn't fall under Get Over World War Two, This Shit Has Been Boring For Years. Another favourite is Stop Covering The "True Stories" Behind Currently Popular Or Recently Released Movies, Please.

• I thought it was hilarious when Jon Stewart cited the History Channel and got criticized by news organizations when it turned out to be faulty information. Oh, and I hate to sound like a broken record with this, but why watch it regularly if you don't trust it?
  • You can change. You can.

because it's amusing to retards being retards?

• "Get Over World War Two, This Shit Has Been Boring For Years."

I remember seeing a couple of programmes on Yesterday, the English version of The History Channel, from a whole series about just Nazi collaborators. And not even well-known ones like Petain or Quisling, but really obscure people from the Middle East and Greece.

• a little muffled

@Gelzo: Because Ancient Aliens is the funniest show on TV.

Oh, and I hate to sound like a broken record with this, but why watch it regularly if you don't trust it?

Occasionally, it actually has something really good. Especially when it comes to the medieval period. I dunno what it is, but programmes on the Romans, WWII and other extremely popular toppics tend to run on stereotype fuel, but shows on the medieval era by comparison tend to be a lot more diverse. There was even one programme on one of Talhoffer's combat manuals that looked at things that I didn't even bother to skim (since they had nothing or little to do with martial arts).

The History Channel might be disappointing, but it also taught me that medieval Germany had stuff like primitive, horse-drawn tanks and something approaching a landmine. There's some pretty great potential in the channel, but they spend a lot of time covering stuff that's done, dusted, taught, re-taught and become beyond boring. When it goes non-standard (like, say, delving into the culture of Classical-era Celts), there's some good stuff to be had.

I remember seeing a couple of programmes on Yesterday, the English version of The History Channel, from a whole series about just Nazi collaborators. And not even well-known ones like Petain or Quisling, but really obscure people from the Middle East and Greece.

You should watch Weapons That Made Britain, which I believe is on YouTube in its entirety. It even spends time discussing the martial arts of the medieval eras. I don't agree entirely with their interpretation, but it's an entertaining, accessible way to gain some understanding on the actual use of the equipment.

Because Ancient Aliens is the funniest show on TV.

I like this show because it raises questions. The things they cover in the show had to come to pass somehow, and it's irrational to assume that aliens partook of them. The more interesting question would be, "How did human beings pull this off?".

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Dude history channel doesn't even do history anymore in the states. It's shit like Pawn Stars and Truckers and Pig-raping Hillbillies in The Swamp and shit.

Then there's sister channel Military Channel which is WW2 wankery.

Yeah, I'm noticing over here that there's a disturbing amount of shows on the History channel that don't deal with history at all, or are merely run a tangent to it.

• Even you can do better than this, History Channel.

Debatable :|

Then there's sister channel Military Channel which is WW2 wankery.

so just like the history channel

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm just bothered that there are people who have done their research and demographics and decided that more Americans are interested in a reality show about Pawn shops than the history of Tang Dynasty China.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Scary thing is... They're probably right D:

I'm just bothered that there are people who have done their research and demographics and decided that more Americans are interested in a reality show about Pawn shops than the history of Tang Dynasty China.

to be fair, most people are not that in interested in artificial orange juice

• edited 2012-01-30 23:39:04
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^That was my implication, yes. (sigh)

^Well screw you, some of us want to know how we got our kick in a glass.

but a lot of people are interested in rei

perhaps worryingly so

she's like fourteen guys lay off, christ

• "Pig-Raping Hillbillies in the Swamp."

I'm definitely getting that on DVD.

to be fair, Rei's kinda adorable.