If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Can someone please tell me

edited 2012-01-24 12:12:59 in Media
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

...what the fuck Frank Miller was on when he wrote The Dark Knight Strikes Again?

because this has got to be the most disjointed, random, cluttered, masturbatory mess a comic book I've ever started reading. ever.

jesus.

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Oh dear lord...

that comic...

I first I thought this was about The Dark Knight Returns and was gonna go into how it was fair for its day.

• All I know is "the goddamn Batman", but I think that's a different comic.

But Frank Miller's pretty well-known for batshit insanity now, isn't he?

• Glaives are better.

I like Frank Miller. He's like a trainwreck, if trainwrecks were drunk chain-smokers with an obsession with whores. 

Really, ASBAR solidified him as the comic equivalent to M. Night Shyamalan.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Frank Miller is not the world's sanest man, that's for sure. He seems to have a weird fixation on making all of his female characters sexual or subservient in some way, and he's also a rightwing nutjob.  

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

frank_miller_shortpacked.png

Obligatory.

I wouldn't mind so much if we weren't speaking about the guy who made Batman: Year One which is still a really solid Batman story. While it does include my pet peeve in Batman stories of a rich man with worldly training beating up impressionable poor people with no options, it does at least attempt to go for a social consciousness that's more or less accurate, even though it's in pretty broad strokes.

• You can change. You can.

TDKSA is basically a culmination of all the bad things that were already in Miller's writing from the beginning and what happens when you get too much praise for those exact same things. Supposedly, Miller knew how to write Batman by making him this ultra violent, utterly coldhearted parody of himself. So when people congratulated him on that, he basically did that more and upped the aspects that people were congratulating him on.

For reference, look at Garth Ennis and Mark Millar.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I am still of the opinion that All-Star Batman & Robin was actually a parody, though.

Then it wasn't that different from TDKSA and it was certainly unfunnier.

Counterpoint.

Your move .

Superman and Wonder Woman fucking while destroying Metropolis.

Check-fucking-mate

Dick Grayson, Age Twelve

Dick Grayson, Age Twelve

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Didn't Miller say something to the effect of: "You want nuts? I'll show you nuts!", before writing ASBAR?

Regardless that doesn't explain all the OTHER bizarre stuff he's said.

I do know that he actually made incredibly sexist phrasing when describing how to draw Vicki Vale, so I at least know that he's got problems in that regard.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Superman and Wonder Woman fucking while destroying Metropolis. Check-fucking-mate

oh god that scene

• They're somethin' else.

^I don't know if I actually want to read that

Nothing is worse than Batman beating the shit out of Jokerized Robin and talking about how he was a disappointment. 

Nothing.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

the anime-style new anchor was worse than that

the anime-style new anchor was worse than everything

oh man, i forgot about that. news on the nude, lol.

Guys. Guys.

How about we talk about GOOD comics?

Did you hear Mark Waid's writing Daredevil?

It's awesome.

that's off-topic sir

also I don't know who that is.

A very underrated comic writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Waid

I thought you had read Kingdom Come, Wicked

Also, fuck that noise, talking about bad comics is just as fun and productive as talking about good comics

But when I talk about fun comics I can give someone a potential good time.

Talking about bad comics all I can give is circlejerking and raeg.

but reminiscing about a horrible comic and making jokes about it is a good time! D:

• edited 2012-01-24 23:06:47
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

^^^ oh is that who that is? Kingdom Come was amazing, so I'd definitely be interested in more of his work.

His current Daredevil run has been called by numerous critics the best comic of 2011 and that ain't bullshit.

Nonono, read his Flash run! Evade Marvel and make Malk unhappy at all costs!

but yeah, Mark Waid's good stuff. I'm reading 52 right now and...well, it takes some time to start up, but it's pretty cool.

• Miller also made Holy Terror, which was so terrible, that not even DC would touch it.