If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

We meet again, INTERNET EXPLORER! (Rant)

edited 2012-01-22 19:55:13 in Webspace

You know guys... I can usually cope with stuff that I don't like by just ignoring it or not using it in the first place, but IE seems to be one of those things that just cannot be put aside!!

It's pretty likely that many of you don't even use IE as your main browser, or even as a backup. It's because it sucks right? Right!? That's only true in a small part, but I can bet very few of you actually know WHY it sucks. I will now enlighten you.

It's relatively insecure and slow (it's actually pretty fast in IE9). Its integration with the OS makes it a potential target for spyware, viruses and all that nasty stuff you can find online. Since it's pretty much the standard for not very tech-savvy people, they know they can exploit the user's lack of knowledge to enable them to do their dirty deeds. Again, it's not so bad in IE9, but the problem is that its pretty much impossible to upgrade to IE9 under windows XP, it just won't let you as part of Microsoft's scheme to get you to upgrade to Vista or Win 7.

"Well, just don't use it then, duh."

I don't but then again, it's not that easy.

The other, main reason IE sucks is the following: It's not standards compliant, and on top of that it's very behind technologically! This of course, doesn't affect the end-user in any way. Well, actually it does, but then its the job of every web developer to cover all of IE's faults so that the end-user doesn't see them. In the end we have to go and make exceptions in the code for IE. Nobody notices, but it cost the developer extra time and effort, and that's the sad thing about IE's existence.

We really wish we could just stop developing for it, but then again, IE is still pretty common to ignore, so you have to make sure everything still works there, even if it means doing everything twice.

"So why don't you make the sites using IE as the basis then"

Because then you have 2 options: Make the site for IE, and have it break everywhere else; or make the site using web standards, and have it break on IE. I chose the latter.

"Well, it's not really a big deal, you just have to adapt things a little"

HAH! I wish that was it. I also mentioned that IE is behind technologically.

CSS3 and HTML5 are two very important updates to the development standards, allowing the developers to create wonderful animations and include media into their sites without using plugins such as flash, it also helps on the user's resources, making everything load faster! Better designed and beautiful user interfaces are also possible by using these technologies, but then again, IE comes to ruin it all by having the worst support of them. So that means, even if Firefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome supports them, they are still a long way from becoming a standard. If you, as a developer, dare to use them, you will have to deal with not providing any support to the IE users. So, the very existence of IE alone is holding back the progress of web development!

So please, if you are an IE user, please change to something better, ANYTHING. Once it banishes into disuse, the webdev scene will be finally free to move forward. Some people are very closed minded and don't care though, so hopefully they will learn once webdevs realize this and stop supporting IE, making the internet a pile of trash for them since we wont be covering up for it anymore.

WELCOME TO IE HELL.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    Every time IE is used for anything but downloading a different browser, an angel dies
  • And a webdev cries.

• No rainbow star
    And a webdev then dies as an angel corpse falls from hundreds of feet right on top of them 8D
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Actually, I use IE as a tertiary browser, mainly for checking e-mail when I'm already using two other browsers.

I wish there were a Windows version of Epiphany.

Also, I don't use Chrome.  I don't need more Google dominance; I like distributed resources.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

derp

• Lol tables. No, CSS is the way to go, even if I have to cheat a little in the process. =3

Keep in mind the graph is also 6 years old :P

• No rainbow star
    ^ I keep using 3.7 because anything newer goes crash happy for me

What's wrong with Firefox 3.6?

• You can change. You can.

It's firefox. /Troll

• edited 2012-01-24 11:01:43
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

There is a point if you have plugins, themes/personas, and settings that are not necessarily compatible with newer versions.

I already had to leave some themes (not personas, themes) behind because they were incompatible with my upgrade from 2.whatever to 3.whatever.

I'm also not quite happy with the automatic disabling of plugins that don't work.  I'd rather have a slightly buggy browser (in most cases) than no plugin functionality.  At worst, I can disable a plugin until I need it, which is what I currently do for one of them.

Is Extended Cookie Manager available for Firefox 4.0 or Firefox 5.0*2?  Or, is there some way to search the cookie permissions (allow/allow for session/block) list for websites containing certain search terms?

Are Multirow Bookmarks and Tab Mix Plus comatible with Ff4.0 and Ff5.0*2?

Can you save personas locally on Ff4.0 or Ff5.0*2?  Can you switch personas without telling some website that that's what you're doing?

Can I make Ff4.0 or Ff5.0*2 have a classic browser interface, with separate forward and back buttons (with separate drop-down history lists), a back button, a stop button, and a home button?

Is Chatzilla compatible with either of these two newer versions?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nightly-tester-tools/ might be worth a look for forcing addons to be enabled

Okay, thanks for the info.

> Yes to the first, they're saved with your themes. I'm not sure what you're asking with the second part, but you don't have to go through the Personas site to change Personas.

I think that the Get Personas website actually gathers information about how many people are using a given persona.  That's what I'm referring to.

• No rainbow star
    Any idea why anything newer than 3.7 crashes constantly for me?
  • No rainbow star

It is very new, from... I forget when, but only a few months old (even the model is apparently not much older than that)

• No rainbow star

I think I did