If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What do you want out of the next Zelda?

MrWMrW
edited 2012-01-22 11:33:29 in Media

Now, we know that the next game will retain motion controls, but what else would you like in the next game?

That Wii U demo sort of shows what we may see, but who who knows what style they'd use? We're talking about gameplay stuff.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Better combat.

lol heresy

The strike compass was good and all, but I'm a bit disappointed SS gave up the hidden techniques from TP. It would be pretty cool if the strike compass could be used in combination with such techniques, and if there were better flow. One thing I'd really like to see happen is better weapon-to-weapon contact, where the sword becomes a defensive option as well as an offensive one.

In the same vein, just some cosmetic difference when it comes to how Link holds the sword. It'd be cool beans if Link could take proper high guards and had a better low-left guard. And a better low-right for that matter.

I detailed it in another thread, but it would also be good if the controller tracked the motions a bit differently. Allowing (but not necessitating) wrist flourishes to set up strikes wouldn't just be accurate, but it would provide a more reliable way of faking a target and hitting another. This is something I found difficult all the way through the game, despite being necessary for multiple boss fights and numerous encounters.

Basically, I'd like them to fine-tune what they already did, put in some awesome stuff from TP and incliude weapon-to-weapon contact. It's an even better idea in a context where a shield is an option rather than a permanantly equipped item.

Also, bring Gannondorf back. The new guy was okay, I guess.

• edited 2012-01-22 12:02:21
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Madass, it is not much heresy as nitpickery. Zelda is a high fantasy adventure, not a fighting simulator. You should demand that from Soul Calibur.

What I want from Zelda is basically, new more interesting stories.

• No rainbow star
    Alex, Link is a guy with no formal training. Why should he know what the proper guards are, or how to hold a sword correctly?
  • Kichigai birthday!!

>Gannondorf

Requesting permaban

• edited 2012-01-22 12:58:29
    Diet NEET

*If using a sea/sky overworld, it doesn't matter how big it as as long as it's populated enough and the controls are sleek

*Agility test à la the Spirit Realms

*Stealth section

*Proper use of the Lantern/other lighting mechanic

*Magic meter

*RPG mechanics à la Skyward Sword crafting

*Shadow Link

*Shoreline area(preferably tropical, should be able to go underwater)

*Boss Rush, but also Savage Labyrinth style enemy gauntlet

*Living world à la Majora's Mask

*Moar set pieces à la Twilight Princess

*Active role of Zelda

*Bonus dungeon on the level of Colour Dungeon/Palace of the Four Sword

*Epona

*A sky dungeon

*Decent day/night changes

*Sidequests galore

*Whip, spinner, double clawshot, bomb arrows

*Zant-like final exam boss

Basically a Frankensteinian amalgam of previous Zeldas that's never going to see the light of day.

• I want Zelda to be a major character.

• I want Zelda to be a major character.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^She's a pretty major character in both Windwaker and Skyward Sword.

In any case I want to bring back the exploration emphasis. Yes, I know it was only actually Windwaker that emphasized exploration but it was still awesome.

I think also what I'd like is to make a way so that the swordfighting could be worked around. There should be a way to use your noodle to exploit a weak spot in all the bosses.

Seriously the first fight with Ghirahim is the hardest in the game.

• No rainbow star
    ^ And Spirit Tracks
  • edited 2012-01-22 15:07:22
    Kichigai birthday!!

A bigger role of the Sheika, maybe it could tell how the legend about their symbol came to be.

Though it should be set very early in the timeline to do that

• ^^ Link pulls a Kratos? Interesting.

^ That'd be cool.

• So Kratos with puzzle/adventure elements.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I'm sure it would never happen, but I'd kind of like to see Termina again.

• edited 2012-01-22 15:51:53
    Kichigai birthday!!

^Puh-leeze

>Twilight Princess Link wanders into Lost Wood with the Telma Bar Guys

>They go into some weird dimension (Termina) where some mischevious creature captures all of Link's friends

>As you rescue them throughout the game you can control them and they would be like the Deku/Zora/Goron masks

Nah, it doesn't sound too good

• No rainbow star
    ...Which does make me wonder what kind of messed up magic is going on at the Lost Woods to make it possible to become so lost that you end up in an alternate reality
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Alex, Link is a guy with no formal training.

> student of the Knight Academy

> no formal training

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-01-22 17:24:10

I want Zelda to be a major character.

That.  Preferably, one that regularly travels with you.

Also, I want a storyline where Ganondorf actually starts hunting you.  Specifically you.  Like, demolishes a town or two, occupies a couple others, sabotages your civilian support, chases you the fuck down on horseback less than halfway through the game and at least once stalks you through a dungeon SA-X style, cuts off escape routes and burns bridges -- that was my favorite part of Twilight Princess -- and by the end of the game actually owns most of Hyrule and your assault on him is a desperate attempt to cut off the head of the beast before everyone's completely fucked (as opposed to slowly gaining the whole territory back and cornering him in his castle like the other games go).

On a related note, just once -- not any more than for just one game -- I want them to try writing Link as a speaking character instead of a grunting mute.  Give him his own story to tell.

• I'd love to see that last one as well.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I want them to try writing Link as a speaking character instead of a grunting mute.

Play Wind Waker again. Specifically, the Tower of the Gods bit.

• No rainbow star
    ^^^^ I haven't played Skyward yet :<
  • I really enjoyed A link to the past back then. I think it would be amazing if there was a 3D version of it, with Ocarina's kind of gameplay/control, sort of like that. An update if you will.

Of course, it wouldn't play or look nearly the same as the original, but that's kinda the idea, giving it a fresh look.

• No rainbow star
    ^ And finally you post :D
  • Forgive me, as I haven't played Wind Waker in several years.  But what exactly was interesting about Link's behavior in there?  I mean yeah he flinches at things and does his usual "yay boss is dead" dance because Wind Waker was all cheerful and zany, but that's still really, really generic.

• edited 2012-01-22 18:53:27
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I was referring to the fact that he says "come on!" at one point :P

• 1) Has a "minion follow" command

2) ???

3) FLESHED-OUT CHARACTER

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I didn't say he was a fleshed-out character. I was making a joke because you said you wanted to see him in a speaking role :P

• Well he was a speaking role in the frigging CDi games too, but I'd hardly call that a wholesome attempt at the matter.

The thing about Link being a mute, I do think, needs to change. Zelda's storylines are getting more sophistication and Link's lack of voice is beginning to stick out like a sore thumb, especially with those dialogue options.

• Some people like hearing the protag talk, though. It's part of why I love Mass Effect.

^^The way those games frame their narrative is completely different from Zelda though.