If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Satanism

edited 2011-03-16 17:29:02 in Philosophy
[tɕagɛn]
The fact that such a "religion" (as I do not really believe it to be a religion, more a cult of complete insane sociopaths) exists disturbs me greatly.

The fact that it's starting to become more socially accepted and is gaining members makes me worry for the world at large.

I can tolerate any other religon, believing in the idea of the Virtuous Pagan and all. Islam, Hiduism, Shinto, Buddhism, they're all pretty cool guys, eh, have their own rules and doesn't afraid of anything. But this...cult (I refuse to even speak its name, it digusts me that much), I will not tolerate. 

inb4 someone calls me a bigot, implying that I should respect this travesty and the sick people who believe it.

Comments

• edited 2011-03-16 17:31:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    "become more socially accepted"

It is? As far as I know, claiming to be one would at minimum get you some weird looks.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    There are at least two LaVeyan Satanists on the other site.

Although I'm guessing this is more about actual devil worship?
  • edited 2011-03-16 17:35:38
    [tɕagɛn]
    It's on the rise at least.

^I will not tolerate any kind of Satanism whatsoever.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I don't see why the Navy example is a big deal. He does his technician stuff; that's all they care about.
  • edited 2011-03-16 17:38:24
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Although two out of three articles you linked indicate that he's a LaVeyan Satanist as well, in spite of the sensationalist title of the CNN article.

LaVeyans don't actually worship the devil, not in a literal sense.  They worship the self.  It's similar to Objectivism, only with religious trappings.
  • edited 2011-03-16 17:39:18
    You're going to need to be more specific, there's about 30 different versions of Satanism and a few of them are meh. 

Followers live by the Nine Satanic Statements, which include "Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence", "Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek" and "Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification".

So basically how a lot of people live their lives today? 
  • edited 2011-03-16 17:37:49
    I will not tolerate any kind of Satanism whatsoever.

News flash: People do not need your approval to practice whatever religion they like.
  • Do you have proof that it's getting more members?
  • It's not a religion.

It's a cult of utterly insane and depraved psychopaths.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Any cult is also a religion. The connotations are just worse.
    1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
    2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
    3. When in another’s home, show them respect or else do not go there.
    4. If a guest in your home annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
    5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
    6. Do not take that which does not belong to you, unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
    7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
    8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm young children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
    11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.

How fiendish.
  • edited 2011-03-16 17:42:51
    cult= religion, try again. 

^ the one about magic is weird. 
  • Are you really going to believe the propaganda, Bobby?

These guys are worshipping fucking Satan. They are predisposed to depravity by default.
    No, they aren't worshipping Satan.  Did you ignore my earlier post?
  • Then why take the name "Satanism/Satanist"?
  • You see, worshipping an evil deity known for killing people and generally sucking does sound pretty bad actually. But please, no need to get angry.
  • >fucking Satan

I want to make some really immature jokes here, but I think I'm above that.
    To troll people like you, Chagen.

No, really.

Well, supposedly it's some philosophical thing about indulging the self or whatever, but it's basically to troll the religious.
  • edited 2011-03-16 17:45:41
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, this really sounds like a generic tiny weird religion that wanted to use shock value for publicity.
  • edited 2011-03-16 17:46:18
    Eh, the LaVeyan sect at least is basically glorified Ayn Rand anyway.
    LaVey is pretty similar to Rand, really, except with occult bullshit instead of "objectivist" bullshit.

If these guys are real-life trolls, then I have gained great respect for them.
  • Chagen, Satanists aren't actually black-robed priests raping goats and sacrificing virgins in an attempt to summon the High Duke Of The Eight Circle, his Majesty Balphegoron into this moral plane.

They are a group of lame trailer trash secular humanists with a trolling sense of humor who are desperately trying to turn their life into a real life version of Eyes Wide Shut. They're too pathetic to be any real threat.

• Yeah, this really sounds like a generic tiny weird religion that wanted to use shock value for publicity.

The Church of Satan attracted a great deal of publicity. Its use of
    nude women as altars, and performances of a Satanic wedding and funeral
    service, brought it much attention. Anton LaVey shaved his head and wore
    a white clerical collar, sometimes even wearing horns to complete the
    image of the Devil incarnate. His flamboyant personality attracted many followers and admirers.[5][6]

• ^^ Speak for yourself, we've been trying to summon our Dark Lord for over four hundred years now. Bloody summoning circles need to be so precise. 
    ^ Voldemort?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ITT: Chagen is mad because Satanists don't get punished in hell, and can get away with whatever they want, and anything sexually strange is not frowned upon in that belief system and accepted (yes, even lolicon/shotacon, diaper fetishism, crossdressing and blood letting).

Not all Satanists are "sacrifice goats to Moloch/Devour virgin sacrifices to appease Belphegor/Baphomet" you bigoted piece of shit. Why don't you read up more on this belief system before you give in to westernized christianized propaganda and spout all of this "I hate this and must announce it" bullshit?

So yeah, Chagen, you bothersome blasphemer (who is going to your hell for being such a condescending bigoted asshole anyway) how about you do some fucking research on things you hate before making a topic about it?
    ...the fuck, Vorpy.
  • ...ow.

Getting scolded by Vorpy hurts worse than anyone else...
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I have told Chagen about my background before and warned him not to use blanket statements, so I assume he is doing this just to piss me off or hurt my feelings.