If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: Stuff you've made your friends fans of

edited 2012-01-21 14:20:12 in Meatspace

-Morrowind

-Achewood

-Drew Pickles videos

-Katawa Shoujo

There's probably a few more.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Hmmm...

-Darker than Black

-TTGL

-Death Note

-The Dresden Files

-Ex Machina

-Y the Last Man

• edited 2012-01-21 14:24:48
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    -Death Note
    -Fullmetal Alchemist
    -Mistborn
    -Wheel of Time
    -Inception
    -My Little Pony
    -Archer
    -Lost
    -Breaking Bad

Probably more.
  • No rainbow star
    -Ballerina Mafia
    -Other various webcomics I forget the names of currently
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

-DMT

-Talking Heads

-Skrillex

-Tumblr

-1949, Janine

-There Will Be Blood

• edited 2012-01-21 14:32:30
    Has friends besides tanks now

-Death Note (I regret this one)

-The Dresden Files

-Almost TTGL (another one I regret, though thankfully they got bored of it like I did)

-SHINee

-Dungeons and Dragons

-Baccano!

• No rainbow star
    What is up with the italics?
  • edited 2012-01-21 14:34:27
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

-Death Note (I regret this one)

I'm not hugely into Death Note these days, but I still remember the moment when my roommate said "wow, I can't wait to see how L's going to get out of that! ...wait, what? WHAT?! OH MY GOD!" with glee.

• edited 2012-01-21 14:36:55
    Has friends besides tanks now

I don't really hate it, actually (and yeah, that was one of my favorite moments in the whole thing). Mostly, I just think the second half could have been handled better, and I don't really wanna be associated with the average Death Note fan.

• edited 2012-01-21 14:40:13
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I did say "not hugely into it."

It has flaws, some minor, some glaring, but it's pretty good, for the most part.

The anime improved some of the flaws, but introduced a few that weren't initially present.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

-Monkey Dust 

-Mongrels

-Brass Eye

-Four Lions

• Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Incidentally. Also, I hadn't checked it out yet then)

• Portal

• Magic: the Gathering

• French (Incidentally. Didn't last)

• Japanese (Incidentally. Didn't last, either)

• Team Fortress 2

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Oh yeah.

-Team Fortress 2

-Half-Life

-Portal

-Mass Effect

-Left 4 Dead

-Bioshock

• You can change. You can.

>Bioshock

>The Big Lebowski

>Batman

>LOTR

>Sherlock

>Doctor Who

>Buffy

>Firefly

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Ah, can't believe I didn't mention:

-Bioshock

-Firefly-

Doctor Who

-Dwarf Fortress

-Deus Ex

• Do spouses count?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

-Dresden Files

-Doctor Who

-Alice Cooper

-Firefly

-Sandman

-Preacher

-The Protomen

-Persona

-The Nightside

-Batman

• -Adventure Time

I'm especially pleased with this one. Now one of my best friends watches it with his girlfriend. I hear LSP is her favorite character, which amuses me for some reason that's hard to explain. 

Everything else I'm interested in is either stuff they already like, or stuff that just I am interested in. It was especially hard getting anyone into MTG, and I think I failed there.

I'm more influential with my little brothers. They really like me and we have a lot of the same interests. I even got them to like MLP, and the one who is a high school senior is a fan and now trying to get people he knows to watch it.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

-Warhammer 40,000

-Cromartie High

-G Gundam

-SMBC Theater

-Eragon (WAAAAAY back in middle school, and I regret this deeply.)

-Terraria

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

-Nightwish

-Zelda

Oh that reminds. Alex, when you get in this thread, have you tried Demon Knights out, yet?

• edited 2012-01-21 18:37:08

Force of habit from wikis?

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

It denotes the title of a longer work, such as an album, movie, book, TV show, or video game.

• Translation: pedantry

• No rainbow star
    Oh, I also got a friend into Monkey Dust
  • -Eternal Sonata

-Grand Theft Auto

-Resident Evil

-Vocaloid

-Shadow of the Colossus

-Star Ocean

-Princess Tutu

-Puni Puni Poemy

• If that don't work, use more gun.

-Adventure Time

-Terraria

-Skyrim

• edited 2012-01-21 21:48:12
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Oh that reminds. Alex, when you get in this thread, have you tried Demon Knights out, yet?

Nope. I did acquire some issues, but lack the correct executable to split the pages, so to speak, ahaha.

Stuff I got people into, for better or worse:

- Warhammer 40,000
    - Hellsing (big victory, especially concerning some of these people were former Twilight fans)
    - TTGL
    - Haruhi
    - Starcraft
    - Tentatively, swordsmanship. Definitely over the internet, but there's some interest in meatspace.

If you want to read comic scans, CDisplay is pretty much the way to go. 

that's assuming you downloaded the comics rather than bought them and somehow forgot how to read stuff in meatspace.

if it's the second one, ignore what i said. 

• What's funny about this is that a friend of mine recently became a huge Code Geass fan, but I can't say I necessarily introduced him to it.

Well anyway, the main way this is all applicable is with Frances. She had never heard of Evangelion and I turned her into a huge fan. Also RahXephon and Eureka Seven to a lesser degree. And maybe some other things that I am somehow forgetting.

And this isn't media, but I got her into obtaining and wearing gloves more than normal. But...um...I probably shouldn't say any more about that.

oh you like rahxephon?

Juan Approves +5

• Yes, we both do now. I see it as a logical next step after watching Eva...it's excellent by any standards, but that was the mindset I watched it with, so I'm kind of always going to compare the two.

I knew Frances would like it. By now I have a pretty good sense of her tastes, which are fairly specific. She's really the only friend I can successfully make a fan of anything because she's the only one who consistently has the free time to watch stuff. I've tried to introduce so many other people to things but then they never wind up doing it.

Or maybe I just don't have that many close friends. Yeah, that's probably it :P