If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The idea that playing harder games automatically makes you a better person.

LaiLai
edited 2012-01-19 11:44:01 in General

Just where did this mentality spring from? I mean sure, you legitimately enjoy more challenging games. I fail to see how it makes you a better person overall.

Comments

• You can change. You can.

...what

i mean

people say this?

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

I have never seen this in place that is not Insomnia.ac

so I'm going to assume you're nutpicking

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Is this discussing the 'only pussies play games on easy' phenomenon?

Because fuck you even on easy Atlus games are hard as balls.

• edited 2012-01-19 13:16:44
    But you never had any to begin with.

^^ The earliest SMT games didn't even have difficulty settings. TDL from the first game was a nightmare of high encounter rates, status effects every few steps, and damage floors. :|

• They're somethin' else.

Does it make you a better gamer? Sure, I guess.

Does it make you a better PERSON?

Dude, anyone who thinks gaming AS A WHOLE makes you a better person is an idiot.

• No rainbow star
    I've seen this on Reddit

"You play Skyrim on anything but the hardest difficulty? PFFT!" *They then proceed to use the Restoration glitch*

Also anywhere where Minecraft is mentioned

"You SUCK unless you can play Hardcore, not build a base, and use only your bare fists and no armour to fight off a modded in monsters that can blow up the whole world with one attack and blah blah blah blah BLAH!"

Also Pokemon

"You play... Casually? What is this word? Competitive is all I know" (Mind you, I'm a little guilty of this, but it's mostly a case of trying to be helpful and instead not knowing when to shut up)
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'm glad Stormtroper posted that image because it's the first thing that came to my mind.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That image seems to imply that playing harder games makes you a worse person, actually.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It also seems to imply that it makes you an attractive anime girl.

I am okay with this.

The thing is, there's no real reason to play on easy mode if you already are familiar with videogames, though. I mean, it's your first run and you probably want a somewhat decent challenge.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The thing is, there's no real reason to play on easy mode if you already are familiar with videogames, though. 

What if you suck at them?

What I meant to say with "familiar with videogames" is that you don't feel like you utterly suck at them and look at an SNES controller looking for a square button.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, I know that I play on easy mode because I can't beat them on higher difficulties. I'm not skilled enough.

• edited 2012-01-19 18:21:31

Usually when I play on Easy mode I'm going for trophies or achievements[1] I wouldn't bother to spend time getting on harder difficulties because it'd be significantly more difficult.

[1]Oftentimes they're "do x y number of times without dying".

Also, what distinguishes the difficulty settings also differs from game to game.  It could be anything from the enemies merely having more hit points or you having fewer continues to having fewer allied units under your control or having less time to complete a level or objective or having smarter opponent AIs to opponents starting with more resources.

I know I find it far easier to play Fire Emblem the Sacred Stones on hard mode than Touhou Embodiment of Scarlet Devil on easy mode.

Well, I know that I play on easy mode because I can't beat them on higher difficulties. I'm not skilled enough.

--writes cygan off his will forever--

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I was about to comment on what difficulty settings I tend to play on, but thinking about it, it's been awhile since I've seen a difficulty setting.

• You've played Skyrim lately, no?  That has a difficulty setting.

Anyway, I usually play games on the normal difficulty, because if you've never played a game before, then the difficulty levels are completely meaningless anyway (since you have no idea how difficult each one is and what things actually change on different difficulties), and normal is, well, normal.  So might as well go with that one.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

You've played Skyrim lately, no?

Not since early December, no.

• I'd probably consider that recent anyway... >.>

• Depends on the genre.  I'll usually start an RPG or adventure game on hard if possible.  I suck at shooters badly enough that normal is a stretch.

I chose Normal difficult on An Untitled Story and found the game to be far more difficult than I would enjoy.  Then I restarted the game on Easy, beat it with the most basic requirements, and decided that I really don't like platforming hell.

• Personally I feel that games where "harder" just = your enemies have more hitpoints and do more damage are ridiculously copping out.

What about "harder" = no continues?

• Both.  When I look at "hard", I'm expecting a change in mechanics that steps up the tempo of the game, not just doing the same thing for tediously longer or while screwing up slightly less.

Heh, no one plays hardcore characters in Terraria anyway.

• edited 2012-01-19 20:13:48

^^^ Bullshit as well, if you ask me. I think harder should mean smarter enemies in most cases. I think Metal Gear Solid 4 did it pretty well; enemies have vision you'd expect from a real person, if they spot you at a distance they'll check you out with binocs, they can smell you if you've hidden in a dumpster recently, that sort of thing.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-01-19 20:18:26

Yeah.  My idea of a good hard mode is to subtly mess with level architecture, expand enemy move sets, and where relevant make things move noticeably faster.  Increasing enemy stats should be done judiciously, and boosting their health VERY judiciously (like, just enough to keep you from annihilating them by cheesing a particular tactic if at all).