If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My father doesn't take care of himself.

edited 2012-01-18 17:33:04 in Meatspace
MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Ugh, his conditions are worsening and he still refuses to eat right, sleep properly, or pace himself. He's always got these projects he wants to do which I try to help him out with and I do because he ends up wearing himself out and sitting on the couch watching me. He also refuses to eat right saying 'I'm allowed to cheat sometimes.' He says this about three times a week. Any time I express concern he treats me like an idiot and he also says stuff like he's okay with dying because then he'll get to see my mother again, of course disregarding how that would leave my sister and I in the cold.

Fuck, I don't want to lose another parent...

Comments

• You can change. You can.

can't you call in a doctor to talk to him?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

He sees a doctor regularly. He just doesn't listen to him.

• You can change. You can.

...intervention, maybe?

• This really all depends on how old and/or ill your father is in the first place and exactly what you mean by not eating or sleeping properly. I mean, on one level I don't really eat or sleep that well, but it's unlikely to mean I drop dead today.

If it is truly dangerous - is there another relative he might listen to, like a sister or something? Parents never take their kids totally seriously, but it's worrying if he won't listen to his doctor. Perhaps the doctor needs to be firmer with him. Ultimately though, people are resistant to being pushed around, even with the best motives. 

• Have you told him how much these antics are distressing and hurting you? Old folks can be terribly stubborn if a person tries to tell them how to do things, so maybe you're going about this the wrong manner.

In the same vein, how lonely is he? If you're one of the only people in his surroundings, this sort of stuff can also be a cry for attention.