If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who cyberbully climate scientists

edited 2012-01-16 22:25:36 in Politics
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This kinda belongs under "politics" and "webspace", but whatever.

I hear that some fuckers are threatening one of my professors (well, one who was my teacher once) with violence merely because he's been talking about climate science and telling the truth about climate change.

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2012/01/15/404673/mit-climate-scientist-wifecyberbullying-pushed-by-deniers/

Comments

• People who cyberbully. Period.

• According to Morven, this stuff is normal on Wikipedia.

Why can't climate change be just the scientific issue it is and not be a political issue? In fact, even freaking economics would benefit from this.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Glenn goes to MIT?

• ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ

I hope so because otherwise I'd question how he recruited a team of random people for the mystery hunt

• In fact, even freaking economics would benefit from this.

Well, parts of it that aren't currently making the most massive profits from the status quo anyway.  Hence the problem both with economics and politics.

• edited 2012-01-17 11:40:30

@Neo_Crimson: I used to.

re economics: Economies would benefit from this.  Finances might not necessarily.

See, the society as a whole would benefit economically from the development of new energy technology that's more sustainable, less polluting (carbon as well as other things), and more innovative.

However, some individuals and companies might not benefit financially from the shrinkage of the fossil-fuel-based-energy sector.

• Glaives are better.

I used to be in favor of researching tidal, wind, solar and nuclear power. But then the rich yuppies on my island started complaining about how wind farms might "ruin the view," how the tidal bottleneck was "fun to swim in" and would be ruined by a factory, and how nuclear power was bad because "you can't hug children with nuclear arms."

Now I just want to drown them in a vat of porpoise blubber.

• "The rich yuppies on my island..."

I picture Hatter sitting in a mansion on his private Caribbean hideaway, rolling his eyes at the nonsense spouted by all those people he unwisely let rent out villas.

• Glaives are better.

Martha's Vineyard. Same ocean, just a bit farther north. 

• edited 2012-01-17 17:17:58

> wind farms
    > ruining the view

I have a picture of wind turbines in my wallpapers folder.  Their argument is invalid.

> can't hug children nuclear arms

wat is this i dont even

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

The town where I live has about 10 wind turbines in view as East Anglia is flat so they are quite visible, even when a fair distance away.

Yet still there are those writing to the local paper moaning about the ruined view, despite the view normally being of farmland that is usually dull brown/green.

Also they complain about the noise of the turbines.
    Despite the nearest turbines being quite a fair distance from the city and that you can go and stand underneath them and still talk normally.

• Ian - I think the "ruined view" being complained about there may be more the complainer's view that by moving out of London they can escape the modern world and live in some kind of pastoral idyll. All that "move out to the country as soon as you've made enough money" stuff is still quite strong in English culture.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

lol, landowning gentry