If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Wikipedia blacking out in protest against SOPA and PIPA

edited 2012-01-16 21:48:26 in Webspace

Says so right here.

Comments

• edited 2012-01-16 20:19:05

This'll be interesting. Wonder what people will do instead of visit Wikipedia during that time.

• Hmm...in what way does it bug you?

Anyways, I've said this before, but losing Wikipedia for 24 hours vs possibly losing it indefinitely. Tough decision. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Hmm...in what way does it bug you?

>implying IJBM is still just for stuff that bugs you

• edited 2012-01-16 20:25:44

^^ I'm not really all that bugged, but this will probably have some sort of effect. Like say, some kid out there will need to do research for something, and the 18th is the day right before the due date, and said kid has been procrastinating a wee bit too much.

Also, about that "possibly losing it forever". I think Wikipedia can still survive even if it loses iit's fair use ability. I mean, German Wikipedia manages to get by without fair use.  Then again, many people probably wouldn't want English Wikipedia to become like the German one.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

SOPA wouldn't just remove fair use ability. It would shut down any site that ever even gets accused of the slightest IP violation.

• edited 2012-01-16 20:27:21

^^[professor]That's what you get for using Wikipedia rather than real sources.[/professor]

In all seriousness, it's damn useful for getting a basic overview of things. 

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

This would also get far more people informed about the issue, considering the fact that it's one of the most-visited websites in the world and I presume they'll redirect any searches on it to a page explaining the bills.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

I can't remember if I've asked (or received an answer to this) but how would SOPA affect non US sites/web users?

• edited 2012-01-16 20:28:21
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^^Given that the White House's policy is "that shit's getting veto'd," though, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

^Well, basically, it would kill off a lot of US-based sites, and kill US traffic to other sites, thus making them harder to sustain.

• "I can't remember if I've asked (or received an answer to this) but how would SOPA affect non US sites/web users?"

Well, a large percentage of websites are US sites, so that's how it affects web users. I think non US sites are safe though. 

• edited 2012-01-16 20:29:25
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Given that the White House's policy is "that shit's getting veto'd," though, I wouldn't worry about SOPA too much.

Didn't Obama say the same thing about the NDAA, though? And the bill has a large amount of bipartisan support, so that means that it may very well override any veto.

• edited 2012-01-16 20:30:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

FYI if you really wanted to make this something that bugs you, you can complain that there exists a reason for doing this in the first place. :P  Not that you have to, though.

^^ U.S. users won't be able to access non-U.S. sites that are declared to be infringing.

• edited 2012-01-16 20:33:36
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

So if they actually went through with SOPA you'd end up with a two tier internet/Great Firewall of China style scenario.

Hmm.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

If they passed this crap, you'd have everything from MoveOn to the Tea Party united in opposition.  That would be a sight to behold, basically the entire English-speaking internet rebelling against the U.S. government.

• edited 2012-01-16 21:01:10
    No rainbow star
    ^ The internet vs a group that can sick the military on them?

I know who I'd bet my money on
  • Internet, natch. Then again, considering Occupy Wall Street, the authorities don't really give a damn about public opinion.

• a little muffled

I'm not quite sure how you sic an army on the internet.

• No rainbow star
    ^ You sick it on the people, silly! :3
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Simple.  All  you have to do it cut the tubes.

• edited 2012-01-17 01:16:41

Tubular, dude.

\m_

• edited 2012-01-17 02:41:37
    Diet NEET

A good opportunity to dust off the V-mask if there's going to be a demo against it.

• Glaives are better.

Welp, I guess I'll have to dust off my Spanish for a couple of days. Or, hell, my French. I haven't spoken that in almost ten years now.

• ʍɥɐʇ po ʎon ɔɐll ɐ ɾoʞǝ ʍıʇɥonʇ ɐ dnuɔɥlıuǝ

All these websites blacking out on my birthday D:

Damn you, SOPA!

• Glaives are better.

Happy birthday in 11 hours, dude.

• a little muffled

@Icalasari: Tor is a thing.

• No rainbow star
    ^ ???
  • a little muffled

One can make oneself anonymous on the internet. You can't sic an army on people if you don't know who or where they are.