If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Having fond memories of a retail store

edited 2012-01-16 14:49:52 in Meatspace

Once upon a time there was a Target Greatland store over off Brice Road on the East Side. Every time my mother would get paid, she'd decide that she needed something from Target and the whole family would go over there and literally spend an hour or two wandering the store and leaving with a cart full of random stuff we didn't need and couldn't really afford. This was my family's standard weekend routine for well over a decade.

Then in 2008 they opened a new Target store a few minutes away and closed the old Target Greatland. And I miss it.

It feels wrong to have such a strong emotional attachment to a store like that. Like it's materialistic or overly consumerist or something. Even though the fond memories are just as much about my family and our weekly routine as they are about the store itself.

Comments

• The worst part of those memories is not being able to go back there, at least not in the same form if it becomes something else.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I have similarly fond memories of various other locales.

• I keep wanting to go over to where to the now-mostly-empty shopping center and take pictures of the vacant store, but every time I've had the free time to do so it's been raining or snowing, and I'm not letting my new digital camera get wet.

• You mean you can just walk in, or do you mean its exterior?

• Its exterior. The entrances are boarded up and from what I've heard on urban exploration sites empty big-box stores tend to have alarms and shit that make breaking in difficult.

• I miss the Marks and Spencer I used to do a lot of shopping in in the place I lived in until last summer, mostly because I never had a problem with the self-service checkout machines there and I can never get the ones in my local branch to work.

I also miss the sandwich shop I used there. Not only did I like the sandwiches, but practically every time I went in there they were playing something I liked on the radio. It was uncanny.