If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bethesda and Interplay Settle, Fallout Online Dead

edited 2012-01-10 15:53:05 in Media
Champion of the Whales

It seems that Bethesda have won their court case vs Interplay in which Interplay lose the rights to the Fallout Online IP for $2million. Interplay also lose publishing rights for Fallout,Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics by the end of 2012

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/fallout-mmo/1216149p1.html

Comments

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

And nothing of value was lost.

...Wait, will their loss of the publishing rights also impact GOG? It doesn't impact me, but it would be pretty sucky for everyone who doesn't have the games but want to get it then, if they have to take them down.

• Champion of the Whales

I dont know to be honest

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

oh fuck.  i guess this means i had better buy Fallout and Fallout 2 on GOG before the year is over then.

Wait, why were they fighting over this in the first place?

• Champion of the Whales

Interplay sold the rights to Bethesda on the condition that Interplay could develop an MMO within a certain timelimt. Bethesda claim that Interplay failed to do this and took them to court. Interplay claim they started developing the game but they failed to find enough funding in time though.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

While I feel sorry for Interplay, I don't see how "we tried, but we couldn't do it" is an excuse.

Who should we have been rooting for?

• edited 2012-01-10 16:58:16
    Champion of the Whales

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/fallout-mmo/1216199p1.html

Hmm it seems this rabbit hole runs almost to wonderland.

Bethesda lost the case >.> but Interplay only had cash reserves of $3000 and weren't anywhere near developing the damm game.

^^It seems Interplay's excuse was to sit on the IP till Bethesda gave them the money

• Haven't they been "developing" that MMO for 7 years? I haven't seen a single actual screenshot in that time. Even Duke nukem had better proof of being real than that.

I'm glad it's dead. The last fallout game Interplay was actually involved in was a massive pile of shit. While I wasn't happy with a lot of design/writing decisions in Fallout 3 it was a good game, so Bethesda having control over the IP is probably a good thing.

Maybe now Interplay can finally die peacefully.

• Wow, Interplay, how disappointing of you.

• Glaives are better.

Interplay has been functionally dead for a while. I sort of hoped that it would get back on its feet, but the golden age of RPGs is behind us, and it would be cruel to prolong the life of a company that gave us so many great titles.