If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Dollar store"

edited 2012-01-10 04:23:24 in Meatspace

The term used to refer to a store that sold exclusively items priced $1 or less.

Now people use it to refer to a certain category of stores that sell cheap stuff, even if it's priced over $1. I often hear Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Deal$ referred to as "dollar stores".

And that's annoying.

Comments

• False advertising in general is annoying.

• "dollar stores"

"Dollar General, Family Dollar"

...Who thought it was okay to name them that if they weren't making them actually dollar stores?

Also, why do dollar stores still exist?

• You can change. You can.

It's almost as if the US had an economy where people are getting less and less money and employment...

• You can't just make stuff up like that, Juan!

• Originally, cheap shops in the US were "nickel and dime stores". Woolworths started out that way. Inflation, eh?

You get the same thing in the UK, incidentally; "pound shops" sometimes literally do sell everything for a pound or less and are sometimes just cheap shops.

• The most amusing instance of this sort of thing is when ads in the store claim that everything is "as low as" a dollar or something along those lines.

"Oh boy! Everything?!" he said sarcastically.
  • edited 2012-01-10 21:54:08

Are Dollar Stores the phenomenon elsewhere that they are in America? In recent years, most of them have added small coolers and freezers of basic groceries like milk, eggs and god-awful frozen dinners. To many families the Dollar Tree is their big "shopping trip" where they scour every aisle and buy upwards of a hundred items at a time.

A huge chunk of my childhood was spent being miserable in them because my mother can't seem to spend less than two hours and $20 in one before she leaves. She fucking LOVES being in them. Because of this, they make me anxious and sick. I've never needed to be in one for more than five minutes, and if I have to wait behind more than a couple people in line I give up and leave.

• Japan has hundred yen shops.
  • Imagine being the dollar store cashier.

• That would suck even more than being a regular cashier.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Why?

• Checking out possibly a hundred different items per customer, over and over...

• And speaking as someone who already was a cashier (not at a dollar store thank god), it's hard as shit (it would actually be a cakewalk if it weren't for the shitty customers, but whatever).