If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Cognitive dissonance

edited 2012-01-07 22:36:10 in Philosophy
The natural implication with cognitive dissonance is that it's bad, irrational and silly.

My question is this: what would a psychologist suggest that the fox in the Fox and the Grapes tale do instead of convincing himself that the grapes are sour? Just sort of sit there and mope about not reaching them?

Comments

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Not mope, accept the fact that he can't reach the grapes on the vine and move on, perhaps to another, easier-to-reach bunch of grapes?
  • Or, more to the point, accept that he's a carnivore anyway and go and raid a chicken coop like a real fox. No cognitive dissonance required.
  • Or, more to the point, accept that he's a carnivore anyway and go and raid a chicken coop like a real fox. No cognitive dissonance required.

This :)

But for serious answer - yes, accept that these grapes cannot be  reached and move on. Which would be more useful in the long run, because, well, at some point in the future the fox might encounter grapes he can reach, and being convinced that they are sour could cause the fox to miss the opportunity
  • ^ Oh, hai, Beholderess. Long time, no see.
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    Cognitive dissonance is a good thing. It is the thing it our brain that makes us feel uncomfortable when we hold two contradictory opinions. The bad thing is when somebody doesn't have cognitive dissonance.