If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Shaky Cam

edited 2012-01-05 20:39:07 in General
I'm talking about the kind of filming style used in stuff like Cloverfield and Battle: Los Angeles and even a little bit in the Bourne films. It's really annoying to watch, and most documentaries I see actually have the camera shake less than some of these films.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It pretty much never bothers me.

I actually kind of like it sometimes. Something like District 9 just wouldn't be the same without it.
  • Oddly, I didn't mind it in District 9. Probably because it was still relatively steady, not like the camera was attached to a pile of Jell-o.
  • My point exactly.
  • You can change. You can.
    I think it lends a degree of immersion to a film, but the problem is both the abuse that media has given it and how often it sacrifices an actual depiction of the events that we're supposed to be watching and understanding in order to (Supposedly) be more engaging.
  • Yeah, it makes it kinda hard to tell what's going on when it's abused too much.
  • Betheeeessdaaa Game Studiooooooossss...

...should probably fire their helicopter CAMERAMAN!
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Dammit, Waltzy, now I'm going to have that stuck in my head for like a week.
  • Welcome to my world.

I swear though that thing is funny no matter how many times you watch it.
  • The Revelations trailer is the one stuck in my head.
    Dammit, now I have both of them going...
  • At least they're good.
    True.
  • edited 2012-01-06 12:48:44

I suppose it was The Blair Witch Project that really popularised this style of filming, but like everything else that gets copied a lot, it has become a cliche. It's also open to question how far it can make a film appear more "real" when, in the vast majority of cases, everyone in the audience knows its fiction.

Some people with motion sickness also find it makes them sick, too.

• You can change. You can.
    Wait, how are we defining shaky cam here? Because from what I understand shaky cam is a filming style that can be used in any sort of movie

Or are we talking about fictional documentaries which normally use shaky cam?
  • We're talking about the filming style, often used in action scenes, which often ends up obscuring the action itself.
  • edited 2012-01-06 15:14:12
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    My biggest problem is how often it's used to hide terrible fight choreography. It's okay for documentar-style films but spectacle based films have no excuse, especially ones with lots of CGI.
  • Champion of the Whales
    Tru Fact, I went to go see Blair Witch Project at the local cinema, everyone got motion sick.
  • ^^ Indeed. You'd think they'd want to show off their expensive CGI.

^ I'm not really surprised.