If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Skyward Sword (Spoilers, but in tags. So please use tags. Thank you.)

edited 2012-01-04 08:39:02 in General
One foot in front of the other, every day.
Skyward Sword general.

So I had some misgivings at first. After the first two or three dungeons I wasn't particularly impressed, especially with people describing it as "the best Zelda game ever". Since then, though, the game has continued to get stronger and might actually deserve such a reputation. The diversity in dungeons is brilliant, and while all the classic gameplay elements remain, SS adds quite a bit. The next game is going to have a tough time living up to it.

So far, highlights have been in the boss battles, from epic sword duels to strategy battles. While the sword mechanics have their limitations in many ways, they suit the boss battles very nicely, and it seems that this is what they were designed for. One highlight has to be in the fourth dungeon, where the boss is a golem animated by dark magic, wielded six massive swords that you have to turn against it. After the sixth dungeon, there's a moment where you see what might become Ocarina of Time taking shape, from music to visuals.

It's probably got the best characterisation since Majora's Mask, too. There's the obvious contender, Zelda herself, but if you look from the perspective of some of the side characters and do some guesswork, there's a little extra depth to be had as well. It's exactly the sort of implicit narrative that I love in Zelda games. One example, at a guess, is the old lady at the Sealed Temple being Zelda's guardian, her younger self using time travel. All it took to come to that conclusion was a well-chosen camera angle, a look of regret and a stylistic comparison. That's good narrative.

Right now, I'm doing some of the final preparation before the true end game and I'm very impressed. Between the ingenuity in gameplay and design, the progression in character development and the cross-cultural mythological feel, I'm well entranced. Zelda's gone from a European fantasy in its beginnings to something much more, I feel -- Skyloft itself shows me pieces of Middle Eastern, Native American and Japanese influence.

But seriously, game, quit getting in the way of my footwork shenanigans.

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I only am past the second dungeon and the shake-up with the fire-rock-spider thing was awesome, with how it utilized the new stamina meter and the battle on an incline shaking up the usual 'in a circle' arena we usually have.

So far I don't think it outdoes windwaker in characterization (which I felt outdid MM) but it is definitely up there.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The boss of the third dungeon is pretty neat. I personally think it's the best of the first three, with an even balance between item use and swordplay.

If I'm permitted to tell a minor spoiler, you actually have every main item by the end of the fifth dungeon, so all your challenges after that point force you to keep all your options in mind. An excellent progression from the now-predictable Zelda formula, where the importance of an item was directly tied to how close you are to its dungeon. And since the general environments, barring Skyloft, are semi-dungeons in themselves, your entire inventory will remain relevant all game through.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Maybe an spoiler warning in the thread's title would be a good idea. I have already completed it,but some people in the forum may have not.

Also, I'm I the only one that felt the final boss was a bit easy? Well,not really "easy",but I mean that once you figure out what to do it's a really short fight. But until you figure it out you'll die a few times,though
  • One thing I particularly liked was Skyloft itself. Having only one town in the game means you get to know everybody better, and it's quite amusing to see the things they get into.

Swordplay was awesome and it was very satisfying to beat down those lizard things, though I find it lame that many people just shield bash their way through everything.

Goddamn, the final boss fight.

> Rush back in time.
    > Have massive battles with mooks down to the boss fight.
    > Defeat the second-in-command.
    > BBEG gets resurrected anyway.
    > Can't go forward in time.
    > No hearts to be found.
    > Fuck it, I'll do this battle.
    > Tense batle with the true final boss.
    > Suddenly, electric sword.
    > Fuck.
    > Die.
    > All that narrative tension replaced with frustration.

y u do dis, gaem?
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    If you want to figure out how to defeat him by yourself don't unspoiler it

You can absorb the rays with your sword a la Skyward Strike and use it against him
    So the third boss fight was pretty disappointing after the fire dungeon's awesome boss fight. The fight against the imprisoned was appropriately engaging and tense, though.

There's a part of me that's thinking of, after I beat the game, writing a fanfic following exactly what Zelda was doing while Link was chasing after her.
    You mean how she made it through all the puzzles and traps and then reset them?

Zelda's charming and all but stoppit, Christ.

• edited 2012-01-07 22:06:00
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Less dealing with the fridge logic aspect but more just dealing with her adventures and personal issues in the adventure.

I know the exact reason the puzzles are there: because it's a game it'd be less fun without them.

Also Zelda is just cute as a button here. Deal.
    Actually, it makes some amount of sense if she's being pursued. Or has Impa watching her back.
    I find worrying about that sort of thing (in the context of a video game) at least to be an anal retentive 'I FOUND A PLOT HOLE! CONGRATULATE MY INTELLECT' matter rather than an actual genuine story criticism.

I mean Zelda and Impa are shrouded in mystery in what they're doing in this game. It makes sense that how they get everywhere so fast is elusive to Link.
    Alex!Link has some criticisms of Zelda's manners and conduct is all.
    Well, Malk!Link likes a girl that's friendly, impish, and flirtatious. =P
    > flirtatious
    > PUSHED OFF THE TOP OF A HUGE MOTHERFUCKING STATUE
    > still go after her
    > mfw

It was part of the ritual and you had a parachute, you pussy.
    I didn't even get to psych up or anything! It was just *shove* and off we go and then the Wii controls, oof.
    I'll agree the wii controls for landing are pretty wonky but that's hardly Zelda's fault.

I always read the scene as Link didn't see it coming because he's a lazy fuck and didn't study the ritual.
    Actually, about that.

> in-game
    "This letter was your wake-up alarm, wasn't it?"

>real life
    >1pm
    "Alex, this phone call was your alarm, wasn't it?"

Fuckin' game writers, how do they know?

• You can change. You can.
    fucking geeks get to play better games than me and i'm stuck with a D&D game

and i fucking hate D&D (Planescape's still boss, tho')
    ^^It's interesting that each game sets him as something of an outsider and this one decided to do that with 'lazy dork'. XD
    Ocarina did that one, too.

Which begs the question.

How did they know back then?

Under the assumption that these games are designed, programmed and produced solely for my benefit.
    Oversleeping isn't exactly a rare phenomenon. 

Ocarina probably did the best job of casting Link as separate and an outcast, what with everyone bringing up his lack of a fairy in a rather white guilt way.
  • edited 2012-01-08 00:40:56

"So the third boss fight was pretty disappointing after the fire dungeon's awesome boss fight. The fight against the imprisoned was appropriately engaging and tense, though."

Eh, I felt the reverse, since I thought the later fight was more involving. Not to say the fire dungeon's boss was bad, but it doesn't do much beyond exploit weakness, then hack away. Though I must say, I was expecting the bone dragon, and seeing that thing instead was something. Certainly gets points for creativity.

But the fourth dungeon boss is indeed hella satisfying. If only you got to keep the sword...

As for Zelda, what she does is shown in the end credits.

Gotta say, I really love the creepily cheerful merchant. Visit him at night and you'll see what I mean.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    HE'S THE HAPPY MASK SALESMAN'S ANCESTOR

Yeah, the fourth boss is pretty awesome but I just finished the fifth dungeon and that boss fight was probably my favorite. Aiming the bow also isn't  anywhere near the pain it was in TP.

Also, I just realized Fi has no arms.

• Strangely, I think Stalmaster is one of my favourite bosses, even though it's only a miniboss. Four-armed samurai skeleton, what's not to love? (kind of reminds me of Yoshimitsu, my favourite character in Soul Calibur) And I thought its weapon positioning was random at first, but upon closer YouTube video examination, it seems that it does anticipate the relative position of your sword. Certainly made for one satisfying battle that put my MotionPlus skills to the test, even with shield bash cheesing.

So I just finished the second Ghirahim fight. I found it odd that the second part was much easier than the first, since I have trouble being exact with my sword strikes and after that he starts leaving openings. Considering I found the first fight with him easily the hardest in the game so far, perhaps this means his final form will be total cake. 

On another note, this game really hits home how much I want Link to be his own character. I know the idea pushes forward ideas of Other M but treated with proper deference I think Zelda games would benefit from giving Link a voice. Nothing elaborate but just the occasional 'stop, fiend!' and such.

• "Am I late?" That was so satisfying to press.

Link will probably never be his own character, or otherwise it won't happen for a long time. Everyone I've ever heard speak on the matter within Nintendo has claimed that they want Link to be both a canvas for the player and be an example of heroic conduct; they want the player to feel as though they, personally, are the traditional hero.

I think pretty much every Zelda game I've played has succeeded on that level for me.